News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ordered a cheesesteak sandwich from a place called Philly.

Went with provolone cheese and extra chili peppers.

(Photo from store site)

It was all right. I have no frame of reference re: the Philadelphia original, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hamilcar

Vegan dinner: Korean vegetable pancakes with dipping sauce and kimchi. Fresh strawberries for dessert.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2023, 10:50:45 AMOrdered a cheesesteak sandwich from a place called Philly.

Went with provolone cheese and extra chili peppers.

(Photo from store site)

It was all right. I have no frame of reference re: the Philadelphia original, though.
It looks pretty authentic.  Provolone, American, or Cheez Wiz are the only acceptable cheeses, so it got that right.  No chili peppers.  The only toppings other than cheese should be grilled onions and/or chopped bell peppers, but definitely not any sort of hot pepper.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Well, it came with caramelized onions. Cheese choices were cheddar, provolone, mozzarella, but that's mostly because "American" and "Cheez Wiz" are not a thing over here and the latter would probably gross people out. :P I also got fries with cheese sauce from them - the cheese sauce was one of the better I've had here, though unable to tell what the basis was.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Probably cheez wiz fries :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Outside of Philly cheeze whiz is considered pretty grosss.

I think Swiss works.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2023, 01:58:13 AMOutside of Philly cheeze whiz is considered pretty grosss.

I think Swiss works.

I looked it up on wiki, man sounds like you're more than right:
QuoteDean Southworth, who was part of the original team that developed Cheez Whiz in the 1950s, described a jar he sampled in 2001 as tasting "like axle grease".[5]

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2023, 01:58:13 AMOutside of Philly cheeze whiz is considered pretty grosss.

I think Swiss works.

I thought Swiss would be the most heretical choice. :hmm:

Caliga

Swiss is considered unacceptable in Philadelphia.  In fact, John Kerry had a minor faux pas when he was running for Prez and visited Philly on a campaign stop and asked for swiss on his cheesesteak.

I'd say it's akin to going to Chicago and asking for ketchup on your hot dog.

Caliga

Also, to answer the thread topic: feijoada, greens, and rice. :cool:

Duque de Bragança

Feijoada without rice would be very original.   :P

Caliga

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 24, 2023, 12:47:07 PMFeijoada without rice would be very original.   :P
Yeah, I guess I've never had or seen it without rice. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Any gringos have a Cheddar's where they live?  Might be an Iowa only chain, might be regional.  Good food super cheap.  I had salmon for 16 bucks.  And at least the one here has hott staff.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2023, 09:45:08 PMAny gringos have a Cheddar's where they live?  Might be an Iowa only chain, might be regional.  Good food super cheap.  I had salmon for 16 bucks.  And at least the one here has hott staff.

We have Cheddar's here in Florida.  I haven't been there since before Covid, but the food was quite affordable, (at least back in those days.)  I don't remember the staff being all that hott, though.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2023, 09:45:08 PMAny gringos have a Cheddar's where they live?  Might be an Iowa only chain, might be regional.  Good food super cheap.  I had salmon for 16 bucks.  And at least the one here has hott staff.
I have one right by the house and I get takeout from it all the time, like probably at least three times a month.... and yes I have noticed that the one by me seems to like to hire hot young chicks. :hmm: