NJ teen loses first legal battle to make parents pay for education

Started by garbon, March 05, 2014, 07:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2014, 02:22:08 PM
Stand all you want.  Parent who abandons their kids always = bad parent

Sometimes you have to do tough love, especially with adult children.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2014, 02:03:15 PM
I have two younger sisters; neither of them brought more drama to the table than my brother or I did when we were their age.

I'm sure it varies.  But my daughter brings way more drama than my son ever did.  It's cute-- for now.

Semi-related, my sister in law sent us a video of her walking in on her 4-year old daughter crying & wailing like something horrible just happened.  She asked her what was wrong and my niece instantly stopped crying & non-chalantly said "Nothing, mommy.  I'm just practicing my crying."  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2014, 02:33:59 PM

Perhaps, but do as I say or you are completely cut off is a total failure.

MadImmortalMan

There is a question of paying for her education though. Maybe the high school tuition if her parents put her in that school, but lots and lots of parents pay zero for their kids' school. For most of us it's shitty public school and then go get in debt for college. Is there a parental responsibility to educate their kids?

On one level I think there obviously is (both from a moral and an evolutionary perspective), but we've been in the process of dumping that burden on the state for a long time. And more recently, on the kids themselves.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 05, 2014, 03:00:30 PM
There is a question of paying for her education though. Maybe the high school tuition if her parents put her in that school, but lots and lots of parents pay zero for their kids' school. For most of us it's shitty public school and then go get in debt for college. Is there a parental responsibility to educate their kids?

On one level I think there obviously is (both from a moral and an evolutionary perspective), but we've been in the process of dumping that burden on the state for a long time. And more recently, on the kids themselves.

Yeah, that is the interesting question. At least in Canada the obligation does exist and normally arises in divorce cases where the custodial parent claims it as part of support payments.

There is also a little known corresponding duty of support of adult children to their parents in some circumstances.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2014, 02:53:14 PM

Perhaps, but "you are an adult now, so choose to obey the rules of the house, or find someplace else to live" isn't the same as "you are completely cut off."   That isn't to say that the parents are not failures - almost all parents are, to some extent - but that their position is not completely unreasonable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2014, 03:27:48 PM

Perhaps, but "you are an adult now, so choose to obey the rules of the house, or find someplace else to live" isn't the same as "you are completely cut off."   That isn't to say that the parents are not failures - almost all parents are, to some extent - but that their position is not completely unreasonable.

I dont see much of a difference.  In my view if a parent has to resort to a my house my rules or get out form of communication it is pretty much at the point of complete failure.

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2014, 03:27:48 PM

Isn't the current case about funding education as well as living arrangements?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2014, 03:31:35 PM

It is about whether the daughter can continue to go to a private school against the wishes of the parents.  I am not sure that them funding a private school for a time creates a legal obligation for them to do so as long as the daughters wants them to (or, maybe just until the end of the school year, which would be the same things since she is a senior).  I could see that obligation going both ways.  The parents say her college fund is available to her, but only for college.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2014, 02:33:59 PM

Well obviously if the relationship has broken down so much people are suing each other there is a lot of fail going on.  But I was just speaking generally.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2014, 03:37:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2014, 03:31:35 PM

It is about whether the daughter can continue to go to a private school against the wishes of the parents.  I am not sure that them funding a private school for a time creates a legal obligation for them to do so as long as the daughters wants them to (or, maybe just until the end of the school year, which would be the same things since she is a senior).  I could see that obligation going both ways.  The parents say her college fund is available to her, but only for college.

It just seems so spiteful.

I can see a situation in which parents determine that they simply cannot live anymore in the same space as their kids, for whatever reasons (I hope this never happens to me, but I can see it). I simply cannot see parents saying, in effect, that they wish to punish their kid by ceasing to fund the education that they were previously willing to fund - particularly high school, in which getting the best possible result affects the kid's whole future long after whatever youthful rebellion or spat is forgotten about. 

I have no idea of the legality of this, and I suspect it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction - as a parent myself, I just can't see any way I'd ever do this. Surely I'd always want the best possible education for my kid, no matter what our differences? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2014, 03:44:15 PM
It just seems so spiteful.

I can see a situation in which parents determine that they simply cannot live anymore in the same space as their kids, for whatever reasons (I hope this never happens to me, but I can see it). I simply cannot see parents saying, in effect, that they wish to punish their kid by ceasing to fund the education that they were previously willing to fund - particularly high school, in which getting the best possible result affects the kid's whole future long after whatever youthful rebellion or spat is forgotten about. 

I have no idea of the legality of this, and I suspect it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction - as a parent myself, I just can't see any way I'd ever do this. Surely I'd always want the best possible education for my kid, no matter what our differences? 

Unlike you, I can imagine behaviors a child could engage in which indicated that they were not deserving of a private education.  I have seen kids from my school lose out as a result of behavior.  I think that, sometimes, a child learns more from a life lesson, like "you cannot behave in an antisocial manner and expect everyone to still kiss your ass," than from an entire semester in private versus public school.  If you cannot see any way in which that could be true, then we just have different abilities to see things.

Now, I don't know whether the bratty kid problem is the case here - we just don't have enough details.  I have seen bratty kids learn to stop being brats when there are negative consequences for brattiness, though.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2014, 04:55:36 PM
I think that, sometimes, a child learns more from a life lesson, like "you cannot behave in an antisocial manner and expect everyone to still kiss your ass," than from an entire semester in private versus public school.  If you cannot see any way in which that could be true, then we just have different abilities to see things.

At our school, if it reaches the that point, the student is asked to leave.  You are correct that we dont have all the facts but it appears that her behaviour did not reach the point of giving the school reason to remove her from the school.  Rather, that appears to have been the parents decision which is I think the point Malthus was making.

Ideologue

The real problem is that private schools exist in the first place, isn't it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2014, 05:57:59 PM
The real problem is that private schools exist in the first place, isn't it?

And private families.