NJ teen loses first legal battle to make parents pay for education

Started by garbon, March 05, 2014, 07:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on March 07, 2014, 05:00:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 07, 2014, 01:37:23 PM
snip

snip

On a side note, my god the drama on a teenagers facebook. I have been dealing with 17 y/o teenage drama/angst.

Facebook, texting, these fucking teenagers dont get a break from each other.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Thank god I didn't have to deal with too much teenager rebellion with my goddaughter. Other than that period when she was 14-15.

OH MY GOD DAD. I HAVE RIGHTS. I WANT TO GO ON A DATE WITHOUT A CHAPERONE. YOU ARE RUINING MY LIFE! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MEET HIM FIRST? WE ARE JUST GOING TO THE MOVIES!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2014, 11:06:01 AM
snip

snip

On a side note, my god the drama on a teenagers facebook. I have been dealing with 17 y/o teenage drama/angst.

I feel eternally grateful that my sons never went in for that kind of thing, and my daughter thinks it's all a big joke. Whenever anyone tries to "get at her" on Twitter/Instagram/etc, she dies laughing that anyone would think that would be hurtful to her. She also has no problem putting her phone down and walking away every now and then for a break from "high school bullshit".

:wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2014, 11:06:01 AM
snip

snip

:console:

I wonder what bullshit I'll have to deal with in 15 years. It won't be Facebook, but I'm sure it'll be something.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2014, 08:06:00 AM
:huh:  You do know the difference between a question and a statement, correct?  <- look for that little symbol.

:huh: You are familiar with the concept of a rhetorical question, right? <- look for that little symbol combined with the intent to make a point rather than obtain an answer.

OttoVonBismarck

I've already dug out a prison cell in the basement for the teenage years, here's hoping it isn't necessary.

dps

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 08, 2014, 03:59:50 PM
I've already dug out a prison cell in the basement for the teenage years, here's hoping it isn't necessary.

Did you get the blueprints for it from CdM?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2014, 11:59:09 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2014, 08:06:00 AM
:huh:  You do know the difference between a question and a statement, correct?  <- look for that little symbol.

:huh: You are familiar with the concept of a rhetorical question, right? <- look for that little symbol combined with the intent to make a point rather than obtain an answer.
When you ask such questions, make sure you plainly indicate your intent that the reader not considered it a question.  I will continue to do the same.  :showoff:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2014, 08:33:54 PMWhen you ask such questions, make sure you plainly indicate your intent that the reader not considered it a question.

When you ask such questions, make sure you plainly indicate your intent that the reader not considered it a question. :showoff:

QuoteI will continue to do the same.  :showoff:

We know. At this point no one expects you to improve your posting style.

MadImmortalMan

Habits in place for several thousand years are hard to crack.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2014, 11:30:48 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2014, 08:33:54 PMWhen you ask such questions, make sure you plainly indicate your intent that the reader not considered it a question.

When you ask such questions, make sure you plainly indicate your intent that the reader not considered it a question. :showoff:

I do.  :showoff: 

It is, of course, just possible that seeing the difference between rhetorical and real questions is just another thing you "couldn't conceive of."  :hug:

QuoteWe know. At this point no one expects you to improve your posting style.

You are correct to note that it is impossible to improve my posting style.  :showoff:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

stjaba

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 07, 2014, 11:12:37 PM

The undergrad GPAs are not treated equally by admissions.  One of the top law schools, I think Stanford, used to have a formal system for discounting or boosting by X decimal points the GPA an applicant had based on how rigorous/competitive they determined the undergrad to be.  They had to give it up officially after it became public, but it appears that the same thing is happening on a less formal basis at all of them.  So a 4.0 at a good but comparatively "unselective" school just will never be considered equivalent to a 4.0, or even a 3.8, at a "top" undergraduate school.

When I was researching law schools, my recollection was that admissions offices actually did the opposite of what you are describing: they basically treated all GPA's equally regardless of degree of difficulty or "eliteness." But maybe that is not necessarily the case at the most elite law schools.

Funnily enough, at UF law school, there were a few Harvard, Yale, Columbia etc. undergrad grads in my class. None of them were at the top of the class though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2014, 11:41:52 PM
But U of A is not equivalent to the U of Montana.  It's generally ranked top five in the country.  It is one of the top public schools in this country (not that we really have any private universities of note).  And *sigh*, yes, it's ranked higher than U of M.  It's actually very competitive to get into - there are other local universities that are easier.

It really depends what you are looking for and what fields your kids will one day be interested in studying.  Cal Tech for example is not just the best university in the world but it prefers its undergrad students for its Masters and PhD programs.  That makes it very attractive because if someone gets accepted there they are set for their academic careers.

I dont put much importance in the rankings within Canada because frankly after you get past U of T and UBC there is a pretty big drop off.   For example in the most recent rankings U of T was ranked 21 in the world and UBC was 30.  U of A came in around the 120s as I recall.

Now that wont matter as much if your kids are only going to get an undergraduate degree and particularly if they just want to stay in Alberta.  If they have aspirations to continue their studies you have to think hard about what area they wish study and whether the U of A will give them an appropriate start.  It may be the case that it does but since you dont live next to the top flight schools in Canada you might want to reflect on your notion that U of A would be a good start in all circumstances.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: stjaba on March 10, 2014, 07:17:25 AM
Funnily enough, at UF law school, there were a few Harvard, Yale, Columbia etc. undergrad grads in my class. None of them were at the top of the class though.

:lol: I'm sure they weren't.  Law school is a whole different pathological ballgame, and relying on your native intelligence and academic writing skills doesn't get you very far...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)