News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2013 Tax Season

Started by Admiral Yi, February 26, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

I was in the same boat with the oversized checking account just earlier today.  I live significantly below my means, so the balance in my direct deposit checking account grows over time, and it grew to some pretty significant figure.  It's easy to reach a decision paralysis with such amounts, since every misstep or mistime can cost easily cost you four figures.  At least with 401k, your regular contributions are out of sight and out of mind.

Of course, tax day is a good day to clean the house a little, so just today I purged my checking account.  A little Roth IRA here, a little "high yield" savings account there, and it's back to "enough to not bounce your checks" level.

Ed Anger

I used to pop the excess into CD's, but damn the interest sucks on those nowadays.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 15, 2014, 07:39:31 AM
Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2014, 04:24:24 AM
Taxes filed, expected tax return: 14.000 NOK plus interest.  :bowler:

Now that's some foldin' money!

I tried doing a quick estimate as to how it translates into USD. Less than $ 2000. Still, worth slotting into that great black hole that is my retirement fund.
Since I spent last year being 100 % employed rather than on my own dime, I also get: Holiday Money. And that, my friend, is worth getting a boner over.
55k NOK tax free. All mine. My precioussssssss.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 15, 2014, 01:32:59 PM
I used to pop the excess into CD's, but damn the interest sucks on those nowadays.

:rolleyes: 1.05% ain't enough for you??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2014, 01:39:18 PM

No.

THANKS OBAMA

Ed Anger

I wish I could get tax free holiday money.  :(

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2014, 01:39:18 PM

Before he found CDs, he used to invest in Betamax. So it's an improvement.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2014, 01:43:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2014, 01:29:23 PM"high yield" savings account

Does that exist?   :P
My Capital One 360 account (formerly ING Direct) yields 0.75%.  Not sure how they manage it, given that there are no significant restrictions on withdrawal that I'm aware of.

Norgy

I've put small amounts each month into a fund investing in the BRICS.
It has had a good yield. 28,3 % in 2013. I thank the pencilpushing cuntiballsfucktards for their effort.

PJL

Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2014, 02:49:02 PM
I've put small amounts each month into a fund investing in the BRICS.
It has had a good yield. 28,3 % in 2013. I thank the pencilpushing cuntiballsfucktards for their effort.

Is that a good idea given that C has a housing bubble bursting, I is in the middle of elections, and R is pissing off The West (TM)?

Norgy

Nope.
I expect a loss in 2014.
I'll also spread about a bit, investing in Africa. Eastern Africa. Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda are growing markets. Heck, I might invest in a Kenyan wife. The girls there really are beautiful. It will be my stint at colonialism.

I'd like my headstone to read "Well, he was stupid and drunk most of his life, and the rest was ruined by bad investments. Thank Fuck he's dead".