News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2013 Tax Season

Started by Admiral Yi, February 26, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

No, now that you mention it, my ass is in accord with your ass.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2014, 01:47:20 PM
Actuary humor. :thumbsup:

I'm an accountant, not an actuary.

You know how you tell whether you are talking to an actuary and an accountant? An accountant looks at your shoes when talking.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

I don't think all actuaries are gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2014, 09:50:39 AM
Is there a min or can you choose any numbers (like 0$)?
First, just just fill this form:
http://www.revenuquebec.ca/documents/fr/formulaires/tp/tp-1015.3%282014-01%29dx.pdf
with your basic deductions and compare it with what your employer has.  If it's the same, then you'll need to check with your wife, who should claim the deduction for the kids.  You've got a similar form for the ARC.

They won't let you pay less taxes, but you could pay more if you wished. 

What likely happens is you take REER at the end of the year, and they lower substentially your taxable income, so, in effect, you paid too much taxes during the year. 

But you could simply claim other tax credits that your wife already takes, for the sake of the weekly payments, that's not a fraud.  It's only a fraud if you do it on your official tax report at the end of the year.  So long as all your dues are paid by April 30th, you're off the hook.  Of course, you don't want to get in a situation where you have to fork over 3000$ by April...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2014, 01:13:59 PM
I think if you choose too many deductions on your W-2 and the difference between your withholding and your actual taxes ends up being too large, you pay a fine.
For Quebec and Canada, no fines if you pay by April 30th.
However, if the amount is really large (no specific figures, but i think it's proportional to your taxable income), you will be asked to make provisionnal accounts for next year, each months or each trimesters, depending on the sum being asked.  Then, if you don't make those, you will be fined.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2014, 02:49:58 PM
http://www.revenuquebec.ca/documents/fr/formulaires/tp/tp-1015.3%282014-01%29dx.pdf
with your basic deductions and compare it with what your employer has.  If it's the same, then you'll need to check with your wife, who should claim the deduction for the kids.  You've got a similar form for the ARC.

What likely happens is you take REER at the end of the year, and they lower substentially your taxable income, so, in effect, you paid too much taxes during the year. 

But you could simply claim other tax credits that your wife already takes, for the sake of the weekly payments, that's not a fraud.  It's only a fraud if you do it on your official tax report at the end of the year.  So long as all your dues are paid by April 30th, you're off the hook.  Of course, you don't want to get in a situation where you have to fork over 3000$ by April...

Yeah, I use that. I was just wondering, if in the us, it was possible to have 0$ being withheld by your employer(s).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2014, 02:25:01 PM
I don't think all actuaries are gay.

Neither do I. However, this is just my opinion. It is hard to be certain since they don't get laid.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Gulletr just smears himself with blueberries.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Great. Now I don't feel so good...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2014, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2014, 02:49:58 PM

Yeah, I use that. I was just wondering, if in the us, it was possible to have 0$ being withheld by your employer(s).

IIRC, If you made so little the last year that you didn't have to pay any federal income tax, and you anticipate the same for the current year, you can declare yourself exempt from federal income tax withholding on your withholding form, and your employer won't hold out any federal income tax.  However, the limitations for that require a really low income, so it would have to be someone working very few hours. 

And I suppose if you have a really large family, you might be able to claim so many exemptions that you would end up not having anything withheld.

fhdz

This year is going to be a tax bonanza for me. Thank you, unemployment + child credits + mortgage credit + head of household filing.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2014, 03:09:08 PM
Gulletr just smears himself with blueberries.

They taste like burning.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: fhdz on March 02, 2014, 12:18:26 AM
This year is going to be a tax bonanza for me. Thank you, unemployment + child credits + mortgage credit + head of household filing.

You're welcome.  ;)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2014, 12:21:23 AM

You're welcome.  ;)

Don't worry. I'll still end up owing in Oregon. I always end up owing in Oregon. :D

Next year will be a minefield. :ph34r:

Admiral Yi

You're liable for taxes on the unemployment.