Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2014, 08:51:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2014, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
What's the difference between a comic adaptation like Batman or Superman, and an anime adaptation?   :P

Taste, mainly.  Creepy ass cartoon crackers.

Have you seen the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie?  It is awesome.  The makers of the Matrix movies said the anime movie helped inspire the series.

Why is it that every animetard asks me that, as if one feature film justifies little girls driving WW2 tanks.

Guess what, I saw Akira in theaters too.  Doesnt change the fact that you're watching oversexualized tweens in sailor outfits.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2014, 05:48:11 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2014, 08:51:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2014, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
What's the difference between a comic adaptation like Batman or Superman, and an anime adaptation?   :P

Taste, mainly.  Creepy ass cartoon crackers.

Have you seen the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie?  It is awesome.  The makers of the Matrix movies said the anime movie helped inspire the series.

Why is it that every animetard asks me that, as if one feature film justifies little girls driving WW2 tanks.

Guess what, I saw Akira in theaters too.  Doesnt change the fact that you're watching oversexualized tweens in sailor outfits.

Actually, I think the show with little girls driving WWII tanks is even better than Ghost in the Shell :contract:

And I still hate Akira. 

Lettow77

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, the series, is better than the film.

I would put the little girls driving WWII tanks in between the two in quality.

I would be interested to hear your criticisms of Akira, mono; I hold it rather highly, and it held up well to a recent rewatch.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 23, 2014, 06:10:13 AM

I would be interested to hear your criticisms of Akira, mono; I hold it rather highly, and it held up well to a recent rewatch.

I was like 10 at the time.  For some bizarre reason, my mother, who showed nothing but contempt for anime, suddenly decided to drag me to a theatre to see this movie that I had never heard of - Akira.  She almost never went anywhere with me unless father was also there.  Anyway, so I sat through this movie that I didn't understand at all, had tons of gore and blood (which I dislike, even now), and I didn't pick myself. 

I do realise that the circumstances of watching Akira were highly unusual, and I may change my stance on a second viewing after all these years.  Until then, I will loudly proclaim that I hate it  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2014, 07:06:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKWLAOu7MMs

This was enough Akira for me.

Thanks.  Hmm, I don't think I'll rewatch that movie any time soon.  My memory that the movie is full of gore seems to be correct.   :x

MadImmortalMan

And giant monsters made of amorphous flesh. That seems to be a thing in anime too. Maybe there's some kind of background to that, but I don't know it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Tbh i never really liked akira much either. Gives me a headache. Theres just something very off about it
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

A fleet of naval ships armed with superweapons  and controlled by AIs with hot female avatars.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Agelastus

I found Arpeggio's animated version to be a major disappointment. The pacing felt off for the first half of the single cour run, and then they went "anime original" for the second half. And badly at that.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

I liked it.
It does make some interesting choices with how it tells the story but it works. Hope they make more. Though they probably won't. They never do with anything I like <_<
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2014, 04:05:02 PM
I liked it.
It does make some interesting choices with how it tells the story but it works. Hope they make more. Though they probably won't. They never do with anything I like <_<

"Interesting choices"? They truncated the timeline and chose not to amend Ark Performance's own retrospective continuity error (introduced due to later material in the Manga)...and that was just the first episode. It went downhill from there ("Yamato, Yamato, where art thou Kotone?" and "Maya! NOOOO! She's real!!!" etc. etc.)

However, you may be pleased to know that a compilation movie (no doubt with new and improved footage) is due out in Japanese cinemas in January and that a second film, comprising all new material, is too follow.

Although God knows what'll be in said movie given the fact that the anime has technically overtaken the Manga. :glare:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

I was sitting in a bank waiting when I saw an anime TV preview.  Cute females and submarines.  Then I realised that it was Arpeggio that you guys talked about.   I have decided to see it later  :hug:

In other news, a new TV station will soon be established in HK.  It will exclusively use the internet to broadcast its programmes.  Last night it asked the population to help conduct a stress test to see how many people can stream the contents.  Guess which programme it used for testing?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, my favourite show.  The new TV network isn't aimed at anime fans or the young, but the mainstream population.  I have decided that I like them  :cool:

Siege

Hey guys, FUCK YOU ALL!!!!1111

You never told me how good Sword Art Online was, and I had it in my list for over a year and I only got to watch it this last week.

FUCK YOU ALL!!!!111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Kleves

I really liked Girls und Panzer. Just try not reinstalling World of Tanks after watching it.

I also really liked Sword Art Online... until it started going downhill in the second-half of the first season, and just seems to continue on the same trajectory in season 2. It has become something of a harem show*, which makes it much less interesting to me. It is especially frustrating because I really enjoyed the way that [spoiler]Kirito and Asuna's relationship played out[/spoiler] in the first season. It was a more mature take than what I normally expect from anime.

*I don't know that I have ever actually watched such a show - at least, I can't call an example to mind. The gist seems to be that a shy asexual loser inexplicably attracts a large following of attractive women who want to jump his bones, and hijinks ensue.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.