And we're back!

Main Menu

The Birth of the American City-state

Started by Siege, February 17, 2014, 12:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 09:05:24 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 17, 2014, 08:53:02 PM
This is why American style lax Urban planning regulations are bad. You see similar donutting (albeit for different reasons) in japan and it really wrecks the livability of some obstentially decent sized cities
Busineses shouldn't be able to just up and move to a greenfield site.

On the other hand our people have someplace to live unlike British Urban planning regulations.
I never said the British system was best.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2014, 10:19:10 AM
I never said the British system was best.

What is the best system I wonder?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 11:37:13 AM
Engineering humor?  :yeahright:

No, Ron was the best I could come up with as a substitute for purple.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

I was including Georgia as well.

Besides, north Florida is pretty red.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on February 18, 2014, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 11:37:13 AM
Engineering humor?  :yeahright:

No, Ron was the best I could come up with as a substitute for purple.   :(

Set it and forget it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 09:38:15 AM
And Congressional representation if he really wanted to go full DC :P

What, not even a delegate and the Electoral College votes?

[But yes, I had mixed up the Electoral College votes with seats in the House of Representatives. :Embarrass:]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2014, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2014, 01:26:51 AM
Somehow I doubt the PRC is the model here.

I'm not so sure. It seems like the hard-core conservatives in the US are pretty comfortable with an autocratic elite ruling the country and providing a business environment where business  regulations and governance don't apply to those with the right political connections.

Depends what you mean by conservative.
But either way, Siege's guy appears to be motivated by the desire to reduce the political influence and power of the cities, whereas in the PRC the cities are powerful and the countryside villages weak and subject to elite predation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 17, 2014, 05:49:37 PM
God, that sounds wonderful.

Sorry, no Frenchified Normandy chateau owners allowed.  :contract:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Thailand has a pretty sharp city/rural political split too.

Personally, I do think the answer is decentralization so that laws can be made to match the local conditions, but making new states via some sort of ideological ghettoization isn't the same thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 18, 2014, 04:05:59 PM
Personally, I do think the answer is decentralization so that laws can be made to match the local conditions, but making new states via some sort of ideological ghettoization isn't the same thing.

Don't we already have this?  I guess we could have County Legislatures as well.  That would be getting a little ridiculous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 04:46:41 PM
Don't we already have this?  I guess we could have County Legislatures as well.  That would be getting a little ridiculous.

We do, and I think our way is fundamentally sound for the most part. There are a couple states that have very large cities that basically wag the dog though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers