News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PS4 vs. Xbox One

Started by Caliga, February 16, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2014, 08:32:40 PM
I thought adding a controller battery indicator was a novel idea, as did Sony when they introduced it with the PS3.
Yeah, they had a controller battery indicator on the 360, so I wonder who had the idea to take it out?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

OttoVonBismarck

What's a soundbar? I'm still rolling with a set of Pioneer 90s era surround sound speakers, what's with the soundbars I keep hearing about?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 24, 2014, 10:09:08 PM
What's a soundbar? I'm still rolling with a set of Pioneer 90s era surround sound speakers, what's with the soundbars I keep hearing about?

It is, in fact, a bar of sound.   

A series of speakers within a bar that are timed to emulate surround sound;  perfect for smaller rooms where the difference between a 5.1 emulator and 5 actual speakers isn't noticeable.  Or Pro-Logic, 3 Channel or any of the other nifty audio protocols.

I have a Yamaha with the accompanying subwoofers, and it's awesome.  The speakers fire off in timed sequences to recreate surround sound off your walls, so you still get that "behind you" experience.  Pretty neat stuff, and one sound bar beats speakers all over the goddamned place.

garbon

I'd like to know why someone acted as if I was making up my response. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

We're past the age of aquarius. We have google!

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 12:03:28 AM
We're past the age of aquarius. We have google!

Dammit, now I'll have to watch that last scene of The 40 Year Old Virgin. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

PS4s are starting to come back into stock in my area, in case anyone else is looking for one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2014, 10:17:23 PM
Bar of sound.

Like a drinking establishment of sound or like a rod of sound?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Caliga on March 03, 2014, 07:51:37 PM
PS4s are starting to come back into stock in my area, in case anyone else is looking for one.

I'm not looking to drive to Kentucky, no--but thanks for the update.

OttoVonBismarck

Snark aside, if anyone is wanting a PS4 in the next month or so the GameStop "Infamous" bundle may be worth a look, you save $0 by ordering it, but everything in the bundle is *probably* something you want. You basically get Infamous, 1 extra controller (console ships with 1 by default) and 1 year of PlayStation Plus. Even if you do zero multiplayer gaming, PlayStation Plus membership is actually pretty decent--you get a new free game every month that you can keep as long as you're a member.

FWIW I played the first Infamous on PS3 and it's a pretty cool game, probably worth a play through for anyone looking to buy a console. The one advantage to this bundle is you get your PS4 guaranteed in a few weeks and it comes with everything you'd need to get rolling. Although the $499.95 Titanfall Xbox One bundle is cheaper I actually suspect Titanfall will be an inferior game unless you're really into MP, since Infamous is a decent franchise and Titanfall is an MP only game.

Caliga

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 04, 2014, 12:04:40 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 03, 2014, 07:51:37 PM

I'm not looking to drive to Kentucky, no--but thanks for the update.
:sleep: I figured the implication would be that it may be starting to come back into stock elsewhere also.

katmai

Well wouldn't be first time you figured wrong.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Picked a PS4 up at a GameStop this afternoon. :cool: