And we're back!

Main Menu

Can lawyers be happy?

Started by Savonarola, March 12, 2014, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2014, 10:19:45 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 15, 2014, 02:41:55 AM
I have a professional code. Do what thou wilt is the whole of the code.

Your lifestyle to me seems so tragic.  :(

Go bite a bat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 14, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
It's important to note that the ethical inquiry is not essentially limited to lawyers at all, but ultimately implicates everyone. The legal system, by setting up such stark contrasts (of parties, interests, procedure, etc.), lends itself more blatantly to provoking these inquiries.  But many of the same questions could (and perhaps should) be asked about the things that professors or accountants or programmers in the course of their work.

I think all professions have a code of ethics.  Engineering does, and both the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and Professional Engineering Exam have an ethics section.  Accounting must have something similar.  Since programming and professorships don't have professional licensure they may not (or not something universal.)

I'm pretty sure we don't have an ethics section in our Engineering exams (or at least we didn't back in the day). What sort of things are there?

All you have to do is follow applicable regulation (building, low/high voltage, dangerous machinery codes; health & safety procedures, etc). And you are both civil and criminally responsible for projects you sign so failing to do so will easily cost you your career, bankruptcy and even jail time.

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on March 15, 2014, 04:08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure we don't have an ethics section in our Engineering exams (or at least we didn't back in the day). What sort of things are there?

The ethics section is mostly little dilemmas built around grey areas of the ethics code.  Things like misrepresenting your client or signing off on things outside your area of expertise are considered ethical violations.

QuoteAll you have to do is follow applicable regulation (building, low/high voltage, dangerous machinery codes; health & safety procedures, etc). And you are both civil and criminally responsible for projects you sign so failing to do so will easily cost you your career, bankruptcy and even jail time.

The same is true in the United States.  The ethics code is supposed to assist you in keeping out of a position that your projects would fail for foreseeable reasons.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock