WTB Free Legal Advice! Languish (US) Lawyers to Me!

Started by Berkut, February 18, 2014, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

You need to set up a foundation that has only 1 purpose to give your sister money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Strong recommendation for getting an estate lawyer.  They deal with terminal patients, so they know how to wrangle medicaid/SSDI, and they can tell you whether your current financial setup is adequate or if you should roll it into a trust.
Experience bij!

ulmont

Quote from: Ideologue on February 18, 2014, 11:55:18 PM
It's been forever since I studied it, so someone with more experience should weigh in--and you really need to get a local attorney to look diligently into this even if someone on Languish is a VA attorney, which I don't think they are (Ulmont?).

No.  All the comments track with my tax class from a decade ago, but I never knew anything about Medicaid, I'm afraid.  I second (or third, or whatever) the recommendation that a local estate / benefits / tax attorney be consulted.

The Brain

I'm sorry. I hope things work out as well as they possibly can.

There's no gift tax in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Far outside my areas of knowledge, sorry.  Wouldn't want to risk steering you wrong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 19, 2014, 08:42:30 AM
Strong recommendation for getting an estate lawyer.  They deal with terminal patients, so they know how to wrangle medicaid/SSDI, and they can tell you whether your current financial setup is adequate or if you should roll it into a trust.

This.

Unfortunately, this is a case where spending a little money will be necessary.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Languish lawyers: have a strong opinion about everything except when ask for legal advice.

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on February 19, 2014, 11:50:55 AM
Languish lawyers: have a strong opinion about everything except when ask for legal advice.

Heh.  :D

Unfortunately, knowing the particular area of law in that particular location is necessary for offering practical advice here. The necessary knowledge varies by state. Someone practicing (say) criminal law in another state, or even corporate law in B's home state, isn't going to know enough.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Actually I know that some of us have helped other languishites when it is in our area of practice and jurisdiction.

Berkut, my sympathies.  Unfortunately I have no advice to give.  You already know more about this than I do.

Jacob

Like you said Berkut, it may very well be worth it getting a relevant professional to weigh in simply to remove the subject as a locus for family stress and argument. It's much easier to tell aunti X or cousin Y to keep their unhelpful opinion to themselves when you can say "I spoke to the lawyer about this, and we're following his advice" or similar.

I hope it turns out the best it can, given the circumstances.

The Minsky Moment

primum non nocere
Except for a severe case of boredom, no one here is going to be hurt by hearing us spout off on monetary policy, or Canadian politics, or movie reviews.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2014, 02:01:59 PM
Except for a severe case of boredom, no one here is going to be hurt by hearing us spout off on monetary policy, or Canadian politics, or movie reviews.
Have you read Ide's movie reviews?

I hope you're able to convince the others to get some legal advice Berk and I'm sorry to hear about this. It must be frustrating to have to deal with all this and with hare-brained schemes like hiding money away somewhere :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I've heard they're always worth reading but they're like a Legion of Decency for the lumpen proletariat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2014, 11:59:17 AM
I've heard they're always worth reading but they're like a Legion of Decency for the lumpen proletariat.
Of course, but taken as a guide of which movies you should watch they're definitely harmful :P
Let's bomb Russia!