Switzerland votes to curb EU immigration

Started by Syt, February 09, 2014, 03:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I never cared too much about the US government fingerprinting me when I came to the country. Guess I'm accostumed to opression. Or I just don't give a shit.

Always made me believe I would be in those magical databases they use in CSI and other police shows :)

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on February 09, 2014, 06:27:40 PM

Always made me believe I would be in those magical databases they use in CSI and other police shows :)

You probably are. If one day your town is being hit with drone strikes, it is probably because your fingerprint is similar to some Al Qaeda wannabe's. I suggest you be especially vigilant on your wedding day.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on February 09, 2014, 05:25:50 PM
The EU should not have accepted the Swiss cherry-picking in the first place and I hope they have enough backbone to actually cancel all the treaties as stipulated in them once Switzerland enacts a new law which limits freedom of movement. We shouldn't grant them full access to our markets if they don't in turn grant our citizens full access to their job market. And if they want to compromise, they better bring their banking secret or something else that is worthwhile to the table.

You guys should just besiege the fuckers.  Nobody goes in or out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 09, 2014, 05:48:49 PM
We have more migration controls than basically any other non repressive regime in the world.

Balderdash.  Something like 50% of the world's immigration comes to the US.  We grant something like 90% of new citizenships in the world.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

Any basis for those stats Yi?

This will help UKIP a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2014, 07:54:30 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 09, 2014, 05:48:49 PM
We have more migration controls than basically any other non repressive regime in the world.

Balderdash.  Something like 50% of the world's immigration comes to the US.  We grant something like 90% of new citizenships in the world.

I was talking about border controls, not immigration. The process of visiting the US is difficult and expensive for the citizens of countries that aren't western europe, canada, etc. A US passport is generally less desirable than say a German one because so many countries hit the US with reciprocity sanctions.

That said, upon reflection I think Japan is worse than we are.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2014, 08:45:58 PM
I'm sorry they didn't please you.

You need to spice up your numbers with a PowerPoint.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2014, 08:45:58 PM
I'm sorry they didn't please you.
:console: I'll be okay.

Looking it up the US doesn't even have half the OECD's immigration (though it's about 40%) and average naturalisations in the US are at 680 000 pa, in the UK they're 170 000 pa.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

The big cities in Siwtzerland - Basel, Geneva, Zürich - where most immigration occurs voted against the measures. It's mostly the rural areas, which are less affected by it, that voted in favor of it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.