News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The President and the Confederacy

Started by jimmy olsen, June 05, 2009, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 11:11:01 AM
Isn't it odd that so many blacks chose to remain in the South?
meh, this is a troll, but it requires some response
Did the Jews stay in Germany after the Nazis?
There is a big difference between killing and enslaving.
Did the Puritans stay in England?
Yes, and they revolted took over the government and beheaded the King.
Did the Chinese stay in Nanking?
Yes, and Nanjing has about 10 million of them today.
I just don't get the negro mind, I guess.

No, you are being stupid.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

They enslaved, killed and terrorized blacks in the South for hundreds of years and yet they remain in large numbers.

I think it is a valid question.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 10:47:38 AM
How the FUCK are Confederate war veterans traitors?

Secession was illegal. Thus those who fought for the Confederacy were taking up arms against their own legally constituted government.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 01:07:53 PM
They enslaved, killed and terrorized blacks in the South for hundreds of years and yet they remain in large numbers.

Because the enslavement, killing and terrorizing was made illegal.

Jaron

Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2009, 01:08:20 PM

Secession was illegal. Thus those who fought for the Confederacy were taking up arms against their own legally constituted government.

Wrong. I can understand governors, or major business people in the South understanding this, but can one really expect some little farmer with 100 acres on the banks of the Mississip to hear all the stories about the war and think 'I think I'm gonna side with the Yankees on this one' ?

No!

Not treason!

Jaron

Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2009, 01:09:55 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 01:07:53 PM

Because the enslavement, killing and terrorizing was made illegal.

Slavery ended after the Civil War. The killings and terrorizing continued right into the Civil Rights era and still happen sporadically today.

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 01:10:33 PM

Wrong. I can understand governors, or major business people in the South understanding this, but can one really expect some little farmer with 100 acres on the banks of the Mississip to hear all the stories about the war and think 'I think I'm gonna side with the Yankees on this one' ?

No!

Not treason!

Many did. All confederate states did contribute regiments to the Union Army.

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 01:10:33 PM

No!

Not treason!

And yet it happened.

A county in Alabama actually seceeded from the Confederacy because they didn't agree with the war.

Jefferson Davis sent in the troops to put it down. Ironic, eh?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

An outlier.

The only mistake these men made was they ended up on the wrong side of history.

Had the British won the Revolutionary war (which would probably be called something else today), I bet the history books would hold the Loyalists in the highest esteem.

So far all the arguments against the Confederates fall flat. Most Southerners didn't even own slaves, so why would they care whether or not slavery was extended into new territories?

It was about defending their homes, their families, and way of life. Nothing at all unAmerican about that.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Goddammit, I hate when  Civil War thread gets hijacked.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Only in retrospect.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 05, 2009, 01:32:24 PM
Emoron's Back!

Says he with the black and white emo avatar and a reputation as a known cutter.

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 01:19:21 PM

It was about defending their homes, their families, and way of life. Nothing at all unAmerican about that.

And yet, after they lost the war conclusively, their homes, families, and way of life was unaffected in any material way - and to the extent it was effected, it was a consequence of the war they started itself, rather than whatever it was they were trying to defend by going to war.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2009, 01:54:50 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 05, 2009, 01:19:21 PM

And yet, after they lost the war conclusively, their homes, families, and way of life was unaffected in any material way - and to the extent it was effected, it was a consequence of the war they started itself, rather than whatever it was they were trying to defend by going to war.

Hindsight.