News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Salvador Dali on "What's My Line?"

Started by Queequeg, February 08, 2014, 04:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2014, 09:47:15 AM
This is truly bizzare. I just don't think of Dali as being of the era of TV...though of course he was.

This is a remarkably posh TV show. The sort of thing one expects of the BBC of the era, not the US. Germaine as a spoken word? Wow.
Serious?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Great. I've lost all Sunday afternoon watching that show on YouTube.

I loved the German counterpart on TV which ran from the 1950s till 1985.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

I liked Sean Connery the most.  That voice. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Jesus.  Peter Ustinov and Noel Coward.  Holy shit.  The amount of talent is incredible. 

Ed Anger

Spellus obsession 5000 kilometers off our starboard bow!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Aye, Captain.  I have two shots of Calvados ready for impending action.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Dalí certainly was in the age of television and he used it pretty well, he was fascinated by technical progress anyway. There's hours of clips from him doing whatever boutade he came up with on the Spanish TV (who pandered him since he was the only world-renowned Spanish artist that wasn't anti-Franco).

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2014, 02:46:29 PM
Jesus.  Peter Ustinov and Noel Coward.  Holy shit.  The amount of talent is incredible.

I don't know who those people are.

Eddie, can you link to the reagan one?

I bet John Wayne could never be on that show. His voice would give him away. And actually, even before he spoke I think the women panelists would be able to sense his remarkable masculinity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Ideologue

This is truly bizzare. I just don't think of Dali as being of the era of TV...though of course he was.

When I watched Children of Men the other day, I let it play through the credits because I liked the song, and I noticed that Picasso's Guernica is still under copyright, which struck me as asinine until I realized, "Well, of course it is.  It was made in like 1939."  We're not that far removed from them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 09, 2014, 05:21:31 PM

When I watched Children of Men the other day, I let it play through the credits because I liked the song, and I noticed that Picasso's Guernica is still under copyright, which struck me as asinine until I realized, "Well, of course it is.  It was made in like 1939."  We're not that far removed from them.
It's more than asinine, it's obscene. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2014, 12:57:05 PM
Great. I've lost all Sunday afternoon watching that show on YouTube.

I loved the German counterpart on TV which ran from the 1950s till 1985.

They should bring this show back.