News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gays destroy Europe!

Started by Syt, February 07, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2014, 11:13:27 PM
There is enough real stuff to mock the Russians for without having to scratch the bottom of the barrel like this.

For example, their embrace of the bitter scourge known as accountancy.
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2014, 07:46:10 AM
One thing that I find hypocritical is that one can find the same kind of nonsense being spouting by some North American Fundies.  Its not a question of Russian backwardness vs Western enlightenment.  Its a question of fundy backwardness vs enlightened civilization.

Who is being hypocritical here?  Do we not make fun of North American fundies as well?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

How this really shows the superiority of North America to Russia is that we allow the debate to take place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2014, 02:45:28 AM
How this really shows the superiority of North America to Russia is that we allow the debate to take place.

You mean the fact that there could be a pro-gay counterpoint showing why the article's retarded without the author being thrown in jail for "gay propaganda?"
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 07, 2014, 12:06:51 PM
One thing that I find hypocritical is that one can find the same kind of nonsense being spouting by some North American Fundies.  Its not a question of Russian backwardness vs Western enlightenment.  Its a question of fundy backwardness vs enlightened civilization.

I don't think the worldwide phenomena of homophobia really syncs up with fundamentalism. Especially in a place like Russia.

I dont think the Russian Fundyism is any different than the brand in the US or Canada other than they are Orthodox fundies.  If you listen to the Russian Fundies talk about how the religious reasons they hate people, if you ignore the accent, it could be anyone from the US or Canada who also spout such nonsense.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2014, 02:14:27 AM

Who is being hypocritical here?  Do we not make fun of North American fundies as well?

The article.  But if you want to feel all defensive about your own personal failures that is your issue.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2014, 02:51:14 PM
I dont think the Russian Fundyism is any different than the brand in the US or Canada other than they are Orthodox fundies.  If you listen to the Russian Fundies talk about how the religious reasons they hate people, if you ignore the accent, it could be anyone from the US or Canada who also spout such nonsense.

CC, depending on the source, a majority of Russians aren't even Orthodox. Atheism/agnosticism/general irreligiousness is very widespread in Russia. The support for the homophobic law was more widespread than Orthodox membership, which isn't a fundamentalist religion in any case.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

I don't think the worldwide phenomena of homophobia really syncs up with fundamentalism. Especially in a place like Russia.

The problem with your theory is that Russian fundamentalism is largely artificial, and as always political in nature.  Russian intolerance is universal across the Russian culture, and unfortunately it cannot be blamed on just Orthodox wackos.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2014, 04:05:51 PM

The problem with your theory is that Russian fundamentalism is largely artificial, and as always political in nature.  Russian intolerance is universal across the Russian culture, and unfortunately it cannot be blamed on just Orthodox wackos.

The Russian wackos interviewed on the CBC justified the law on the basis that they trusted Jesus Christ to tell them what was right.  They are as bad as any North American Fundies in that regard.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2014, 04:20:06 PM
The Russian wackos interviewed on the CBC justified the law on the basis that they trusted Jesus Christ to tell them what was right.  They are as bad as any North American Fundies in that regard.
I'm sure they did, but so what?  Religious fundamentalism plays little role, other than a fig leaf, for what we're seeing in Russia.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2014, 04:21:49 PM
I'm sure they did, but so what?  Religious fundamentalism plays little role, other than a fig leaf, for what we're seeing in Russia.

Ok - so if it sounds like religious idiocy we should just ignore that.  Gotcha.

The Brain

In Soviet times Russia was a gay paradise.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on February 08, 2014, 04:24:11 PM
In Soviet times Russia was a gay paradise.

English gay spies thought so as well. :P

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2014, 04:23:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2014, 04:21:49 PM

Ok - so if it sounds like religious idiocy we should just ignore that.  Gotcha.
Now you're just thrashing around because you're by your nature incapable of letting go of an argument.  You originally stated that it was enlightened world versus religious wackos.  In Russia, that is definitely not the case, the Russians we may consider enlightened are almost as intolerant as the backwards villagers, even if they're atheist and hold Orthodox priests in disdain.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2014, 02:53:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2014, 02:14:27 AM

The article.  But if you want to feel all defensive about your own personal failures that is your issue.

Pravda is being hypocritical?  They are practically a tabloid.  I am not being defensive I have no fucking idea what you are talking about or who you are accusing here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."