News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 07, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
I really wish the IOC would drop the notion of hosting the Games in third world countries.

Me and Chuck?  Same wave length, 'cause we've got it like that.

QuoteChuck Schumer hits IOC for picking Russia

Sen. Chuck Schumer slammed the International Olympic Committee on Monday for selecting Russia to host the just-concluded Winter Olympics, urging changes to how host nations are selected.

The day after the games finished in Sochi, Russia, Schumer put out a statement criticizing giving a nation with a history of human rights violations the chance to host the games and said that countries' records on human rights should factor in to future hosting decisions.

"It boggles my mind that the IOC chose to play these games in Sochi at all," the New York Democrat said. "Unfortunately, awarding the Olympic Games to a bad actor does not seem to be a rare occurrence for the Olympics. In the past six years, we have had two countries with shoddy human rights records hosting the games – Russia and China. And I believe we are sending the wrong message by continuing to give a platform to these countries and their leaders by awarding them the most precious international sporting event we have."

Schumer listed anti-gay propaganda laws, workers' rights and an unfriendly climate for journalists as reasons Russia should not have been granted the games.

The third-ranking Democrat in the Senate said he would send a letter to the IOC asking for changes Tuesday, to join a letter sent by 33 human rights groups to the committee, as well.

While the games went off mostly without a hitch, controversy swirled around the games' lead-up for security concerns, the anti-gay laws and the nation's frosty relationship with the United States, drawing scrutiny from a number of lawmakers.

I for one look forward to Pyongyang '24.

Siege

In Soviet Sochi, the singularity singulars you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Chuck Schumer shows his typical lack of thought and reflection.  The IOC is full of Eurotrash.  If there was a human rights test, the US would be failed on account of the death penalty, support for Israel and black people being criminals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ape

I know I'm late with this, but since I don't hardly ever come here anymore screw you.

I just wanted to say congratulations to the Canuckians on this board for the ice-hockey gold medal, your national team was clearly better then ours. Most other Swedish I've spoken to said that it wouldn't have mattered even if both Bäckström and Zetterberg played that game, team Canada was just that good in that game.

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2014, 01:39:34 PM
I think Sochi will be remembered as an embarrassing Olympics. A quasi dictator spending an obscene amount of money to hold a winter olympics in a tropical location. Yeah the venues were nice, the Opening Ceremonies good, and the athletics exciting, but in 10 years after Sochi has gone back to being what it was people are going to be like "wtf was that?"

Putin has  a habit of starting wars under the cover of olympic games.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Heh, the 50 billion dollar goodwill earned by the Sochi games did not last one week after the closing ceremony.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

Meh, so far, my scan of the American news media today is..."Russia has troops invading Ukraine in the Crimea....AND NOW FUCK THAT FOREIGNER NOISE...HERE IS SOME OSCAR AWARDS GOSSIP!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 02, 2014, 10:13:18 AM
Meh, so far, my scan of the American news media today is..."Russia has troops invading Ukraine in the Crimea....AND NOW FUCK THAT FOREIGNER NOISE...HE IS SOME OSCAR AWARDS GOSSIP!

Yeah, I was anxious to tune into some American news networks to hear the latest on the American view and all I got was speculation on all things Oscar.

A couple weeks ago I would wake up to hear the good news about how athletes were doing at the Olympics, now I wake up to war becoming more likely.

Ed Anger

I'd still rather hear the oscar shit than see the screen split into 8 boxes with heads in them yelling at each other.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2014, 10:23:49 AM
I'd still rather hear the oscar shit than see the screen split into 8 boxes with heads in them yelling at each other.

Dont watch Fox?

Tonitrus

Shouldn't you be having a war boner about now?  :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 02, 2014, 10:25:11 AM

Shouldn't you be having a war boner about now?  :mad:

Not over white people killing each other.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 02, 2014, 10:13:18 AM
Meh, so far, my scan of the American news media today is..."Russia has troops invading Ukraine in the Crimea....AND NOW FUCK THAT FOREIGNER NOISE...HERE IS SOME OSCAR AWARDS GOSSIP!

But dude, it's the Oscars.