News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

This is a question for Dorsey.  The Americans dominated round-robin play, scored a shit-ton of goals and were higher-seeded.  The Canadians shut them out 1-0.  Did the US men's team choke?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2014, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2014, 07:34:03 PM
It's true, I don't know what else they can ask for tho.

They already get paid for insurance & all transportation, can use Olympic footage, NHL media have access to mix media area.
Maybe they don't want anything except for their $10 million+ players to not get hurt for nothing.
Now that I can see.  The Islanders were already pretty fucked, but now they have no chance to make the playoffs at all, and their biggest draw (who is also probably one of the top 5 plays in the NHL) is gone for the rest of the year.  They'll be giving tickets away just to fill the place up and hopefully sell some beer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on February 21, 2014, 07:59:54 PM
This is a question for Dorsey.  The Americans dominated round-robin play, scored a shit-ton of goals and were higher-seeded.  The Canadians shut them out 1-0.  Did the US men's team choke?

No way. Men's and women's, the US and Canada have been the best sides the past dozen years or so (I think, I actually don't know about the women's). There is certainly no shame in a one goal loss, or an overtime loss, to a Canadian team.

However, to squander a 2 goal lead with less than 5 to go--and then let another one in not too far into the overtime period--that is something special. The team collapsed in the most critical period of the game. I don't know how else to describe it, and imo that is what choking is all about.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I think that the US Men's team was cursed by the presence of Phil Kessel Ryan Kessler and James van Riemsdyk.  As is typical for them, they battle hard through early games, only to not show up at the critical moment.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2014, 02:12:41 PM
:cry:

Congrats Canada.

Meh, it is their sport, you know.  We can give them that.

Besides, we have a shitload more black people than they do, so they can forget the Summer Olympics.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 03:18:50 PM
I was wondering how an independent Quebec would do in the Winter Olympics.  What sports would they be strongest in?  I'm guessing hockey would be one.
Hmm, I think we're gradually moving down the ladder when it comes to hockey, less and less excellent hockey players come from Quebec.  Very good ones for sure, but not enough to make it to such teams like the Olympics.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2014, 03:28:31 PM
Hockey, on the other hand... only three members of Team Canada hail from Quebec.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131
4, including St-Louis.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on February 21, 2014, 11:56:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 03:18:50 PM
I was wondering how an independent Quebec would do in the Winter Olympics.  What sports would they be strongest in?  I'm guessing hockey would be one.
Hmm, I think we're gradually moving down the ladder when it comes to hockey, less and less excellent hockey players come from Quebec.  Very good ones for sure, but not enough to make it to such teams like the Olympics.
Yeah, it used to be that Quebec was the heart of hockey in Canada.

Admiral Yi

Watched a little bit of the ice pursuit or whatever the fuck that is.  Teams of 3 chasing each other.  Pretty good.  Speed skating is definitely the most photogenic of winter games sports.

Liep

Norwegian sweep in the 30km cross country. And it looks like they'll secure the medal count with very few competitions left.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Svendson bombs the last shooting in the biathlon relay. :weep: :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Russia takes it. Sochi goes nuts.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2014, 01:39:59 AM
Speed skating is definitely the most photogenic important of winter games sports.

fixed

Neil

Quote from: Maladict on February 22, 2014, 10:57:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2014, 01:39:59 AM
Speed skating is definitely the most photogenic important of winter games sports.

fixed
But that's not true.  The hockey tournament is #1.  All other sports are #2 or lower.