Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 12:13:45 PM
Thing is the Russians outshot and outplayed the Finns.  The Finns however had a much better starting goalie.  Three goals on 15 shots isnt going to cut it.  I forget the name of the Russian starter but if I was him I would get out of the country asap.

I was hoping for a classic Russian Canadian showdown in the gold medal game.

No matter what you think of Russia or Russian hockey players, nobody wants to see them defeated in the quarter-finals.

Though I'm happy for Finland.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 12:19:31 PM
No matter what you think of Russia or Russian hockey players, nobody wants to see them defeated in the quarter-finals.

That was my first thought, but then the medal count is at stake, plus there's the schadenfreude at seeing Putin's boys lose out on their home ice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

:yes: Would've been sweeter if it happened against Norway.

alfred russel

I did.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2014, 12:25:58 PM

I dont understand that.  Even Selanne said he was happy for the win by felt bad it had to come at the expense of the Russian players because he understood how much it meant to them to get to the meddle round.

Valmy

It is just so freaking typical that there were these two young super stars and of course the Caps got the guy who can't win the big ones.  Either that or the Caps ruined him, maybe if the Pens had gotten him instead Russia would be going for their third straight Gold Medal now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 12:29:29 PM

I dont understand that.  Even Selanne said he was happy for the win by felt bad it had to come at the expense of the Russian players because he understood how much it meant to them to get to the meddle round.

Let me try to explain: Fuck Russia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

I have no animosity towards Russian athletes.

Barrister

For me, it's not that I feel bad for the Russian players - it's just that it would have been even more tears to see them defeated in the finals. :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It would not astonish me if at some point in the future places like Belarus and Abkazia held annexation referenda.

Admiral Yi

Fuck me and my constant wrong threading. :bleeding:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2014, 12:35:43 PM
I have no animosity towards Russian athletes.

I don't either. But Putin is blowing $10s of billions on this and his hockey team won't make it out the quarterfinals. His women's team? Maybe if they had some more progressive gender policies they would have a shot there.

I was hoping that the Russian Olympic athletic efforts would collapse. So far they haven't, but the hockey team is a good start.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2014, 12:36:22 PM

For me, it's not that I feel bad for the Russian players - it's just that it would have been even more tears to see them defeated in the finals. :menace:

Like I said, I wanted to meet them in the gold medal game.  It would have been the perfect dramatic ending to the Olympics.  Now the Finns will be the competition for Gold.  Not quite the same.

derspiess

Seems like the Finns are the perennial bronze medalists in hockey, though glancing through recent history they've gotten silver about as many times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall