And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

That's the quality Liberace had.

fhdz

Eh, what the figure skaters do requires an enormous amount of talent and strength. Who gives a shit if most of the male skaters are gay?

It's certainly not my favorite set of events at the Winter Olympics but I don't turn it off when it comes on, either.
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 05:49:09 PM
That's the quality Liberace had.

People were entertained weren't they? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Figure skaters are obviously great athletes and talented skaters. Rather than focusing development on choreography and dancing I wish they focused on hockey skills like passing and shooting. Especially for the Americans. We are going to need all hands on deck to break through against the Canadians this year.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2014, 05:37:35 PM
Not as into this Olympics as the Vancouver one. Not sure if it was a patriotic thing or if Vancouver was better.

Better time zone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Wow, women's super-g is such a clusterfuck.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2014, 04:31:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 04:26:09 PM
Watched the mens figure skaters falling on their cans last night.  The Jap is really pretty.

I'm watching less Olympics than I expected because of the way NBC intersperses the figure skating into coverage. I can't force myself to watch that stuff. It comes on, I make it through about 5 minutes, turn off the TV, turn it back on when I think skating is over and catch the tail end of some other event, and then back to figure skating...That and curling are the only two sports I absolutely don't want to watch (no offense to curling, it just isn't super compelling for me on TV).

Ditto, though I'll usually just leave it on and go do something else in the meantime. But I still miss out on a lot of stuff I'd like to have seen. And I haven't taken much advantage of the online streaming NBC offers, as it's just not too convenient for me.

And there's the issue of fighting my wife & kids for control over one of the TVs. During football season they know to back the hell off, but outside of that I get no respect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2014, 05:54:31 PM
Figure skaters are obviously great athletes and talented skaters. Rather than focusing development on choreography and dancing I wish they focused on hockey skills like passing and shooting. Especially for the Americans. We are going to need all hands on deck to break through against the Canadians this year.

Nah, overall medal count is much more important than hockey gold.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 05:45:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 05:37:00 PM
Downhill skiers don't dress up like gigolos on acid and sensually wave their arms and wiggle their butts while they're skiing.

It is called showmanship.

And it's not for everyone.  Form follows function.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Putin is present at the cross country stadium to see Legkov's power third run being cancelled out by a lukewarm fourth run by Vylegzhanin. Sweden dominates.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Of course Norway calls their complete failure for a "smørefiasko" which translates loosely into "whining loser".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 05:16:39 PM
I don't get the anti-figure skating thing.  They have to do all these jumps and so forth that is compelling, or at least as compelling as watching people ski down mountains or any other Olympic sport.  The men do the quads and the even harder stuff, so why are they useless?

Part of it is also what we discussed earlier--a dislike for competitions decided on style points rather than on objective criteria such as time, distance, or goals scored.

lustindarkness

Because figure skating in my opinion is not a sport.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2014, 08:01:22 PM

Not if you're  Canadian or Russian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2014, 08:01:22 PM

That will be my line if our hockey team falls short. We aren't there yet.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014