And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2014, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2014, 10:10:56 AM
I wake up and see USA-Russia has gone to a shootout!

I sort of feel for the Russians on that one--they were a bit hard done by on the disallowed goal.

I don't.  Fuck them, they're getting enough of a home-field ref advantage these games as it is.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2014, 02:11:25 PM
I sort of feel for the Russians on that one--they were a bit hard done by on the disallowed goal. We may have used too much karma on a meaningless game--you could argue that the Russians are better off not getting the first round bye because their opponent should be manageable and they get an extra game to play together.
Yeah, something feels wrong about the goal being disallowed because the goalie himself dislodged the net.
Yeah.  I'm the last guy to be soft on Russians, but that stunk.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2014, 02:26:35 PM

I sort of feel for the Russians on that one--they were a bit hard done by on the disallowed goal.

I don't.  Fuck them, they're getting enough of a home-field ref advantage these games as it is.

Rules is rules, anyway.  Makes it better that Putin was there to watch his team go up 3-2, then have the goal erased & lose in a shootout.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 15, 2014, 02:28:37 PM
Rules is rules, anyway.  Makes it better that Putin was there to watch his team go up 3-2, then have the goal erased & lose in a shootout.

No shit.

If it makes all these pussies feel better, they can pretend the Russians were high-sticking the puck instead.  WHICH THEY WERE.

DGuller

There is something appealing at watching Nordic chicks have a massive cat fight on ice.  :)

Admiral Yi

Watched the mens figure skaters falling on their cans last night.  The Jap is really pretty.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 04:26:09 PM
Watched the mens figure skaters falling on their cans last night.  The Jap is really pretty.

I'm watching less Olympics than I expected because of the way NBC intersperses the figure skating into coverage. I can't force myself to watch that stuff. It comes on, I make it through about 5 minutes, turn off the TV, turn it back on when I think skating is over and catch the tail end of some other event, and then back to figure skating...That and curling are the only two sports I absolutely don't want to watch (no offense to curling, it just isn't super compelling for me on TV).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Mens figure skating is useless.  Womens' is not bad for perving.

But if I were programming the winter Olympics I would show as much figure skating as possible.  Your core viewing demographic is chicks.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 04:48:49 PM
Mens figure skating is useless.  Womens' is not bad for perving.

But if I were programming the winter Olympics I would show as much figure skating as possible.  Your core viewing demographic is chicks.

I'm sure that the NBC guys have put a lot of research and thought into this, but I'd watch more if they concentrated the figure skating into one half of the program, and the other sports into the other half. Maybe they are going for families watching together, interspersing parts for the men and women, but I would gouge my eyes out before watching all the figure skating they have shown.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

I don't get the anti-figure skating thing.  They have to do all these jumps and so forth that is compelling, or at least as compelling as watching people ski down mountains or any other Olympic sport.  The men do the quads and the even harder stuff, so why are they useless?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 05:16:39 PM
I don't get the anti-figure skating thing.  They have to do all these jumps and so forth that is compelling, or at least as compelling as watching people ski down mountains or any other Olympic sport.  The men do the quads and the even harder stuff, so why are they pointless?

I'm not against figure skating. I just don't want to watch it.

DGuller

Best shot of the Olympics so far was a slo-mo shot of some skier biting off and chewing the banana open-mouthed.  Quality viewing material.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 05:16:39 PM
I don't get the anti-figure skating thing.  They have to do all these jumps and so forth that is compelling, or at least as compelling as watching people ski down mountains or any other Olympic sport.  The men do the quads and the even harder stuff, so why are they useless?

Downhill skiers don't dress up like gigolos on acid and sensually wave their arms and wiggle their butts while they're skiing.

HVC

Not as into this Olympics as the Vancouver one. Not sure if it was a patriotic thing or if Vancouver was better.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 05:37:00 PM
Downhill skiers don't dress up like gigolos on acid and sensually wave their arms and wiggle their butts while they're skiing.

It is called showmanship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."