News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The USPS considers offering banking services

Started by Savonarola, February 07, 2014, 03:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2014, 09:50:28 PM
Whoa.  What was it like, living in a film noir?

Actually, the thought of slowly bleeding out behind a shitty second-hand industrial office desk in the 'hood at 1am, surrounded by empty speed-loaders as I load the last couple rounds into the revolver in my lap with one hand, wondering how long it's going to take before somebody feeds my cats, sounds pretty fucking attractive right about now.

Certainly a more romantic fate than
http://youtu.be/6R03BVIyAdY

Of course, you'd probably give my death a B-, for its Tarantino-esque unoriginality.

Ideologue

Quote from: fhdz on February 08, 2014, 03:02:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 08, 2014, 02:34:28 AM
UPS keeps making me go to their fucking hub.  It's like a 40 minute round trip.

#zeroth world problems

I dunno.  I think you can legitimately complain about having to take an hour out of work, wear your car down by another 20 miles, plus the cost of gasoline.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 11:10:26 AM

Actually, the thought of slowly bleeding out behind a shitty second-hand industrial office desk in the 'hood at 1am, surrounded by empty speed-loaders as I load the last couple rounds into the revolver in my lap with one hand, wondering how long it's going to take before somebody feeds my cats, sounds pretty fucking attractive right about now.

Of course, you'd probably give my death a B-, for its Tarantino-esque unoriginality.

I don't have minuses.  Maybe I should.  Maybe I will.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 11:10:26 AM

Well, at least you have your hair.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on February 08, 2014, 02:47:35 PM
Quote from: fhdz on February 08, 2014, 03:02:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 08, 2014, 02:34:28 AM
UPS keeps making me go to their fucking hub.  It's like a 40 minute round trip.

#zeroth world problems

I dunno.  I think you can legitimately complain about having to take an hour out of work, wear your car down by another 20 miles, plus the cost of gasoline.

I think the notion is that you can complain about pretty much anything.

EDIT: "You" meaning "one", not you specifically.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on February 08, 2014, 01:43:50 AM
could they really make money offering only these basic services?  If they aren't as competitive as private banks, why bother?  If they generate losses, you'll want it shut down (I would too). 

If they make money, then, they'd have found a revolutionary new way for a government office to make money in the absence of a monopoly.  I can't see that happening, can you?

They don't need to make money, they just need to break even.

After a little investigation, payroll check cashing seems to be a pretty competitive industry.  My supermarket offers it, as does Walgreen's, both for around 5% it seems.

grumbler

could they really make money offering only these basic services?  If they aren't as competitive as private banks, why bother?  If they generate losses, you'll want it shut down (I would too). 
Post Offices already generate massive losses.  The alternative to shutting them down is to have them adopt another revenue stream, that doesn't cost much more (because you already have the employees in place and they have a lot of excess time on their hands), so that the losses are staunched.

QuoteIf they make money, then, they'd have found a revolutionary new way for a government office to make money in the absence of a monopoly.  I can't see that happening, can you?
There are many government offices that make money in the absence of a monopoly.  The Sheriff's Office makes money writing traffic tickets, even though it doesn't have a monopoly on writing tickets.  The post offices could take in more money by offering more services, whether you can see it it not. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

I know a fair number of people who work or have worked at the Post Office. Before they can start that they'll have to change the whole workplace ethos they have there. Its very much a dog eat dog kinda place.
PDH!

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2014, 04:47:57 PM

If they make money, then, they'd have found a revolutionary new way for a government office to make money in the absence of a monopoly.  I can't see that happening, can you?

They don't need to make money, they just need to break even.

If the goal is simply to offer low-cost check cashing services to low-income citizens, yeah, that's true.

However, if the goal is to try to offset the USPS's operating losses, then it's not true.

Admiral Yi

Fair enough.

Although I suppose if you wanted to get extra pointy headed about it, we could say that any business line that helps cover existing fixed costs will decrease operating losses.