News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is YOUR favorite Quentin Tarantino film?

Started by Ideologue, February 02, 2014, 03:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you illiterate?  Then repeating the question won't help you in a written medium

Reservoir Dogs
5 (8.9%)
Pulp Fiction
29 (51.8%)
Kill Bill Vol. 1
4 (7.1%)
Kill Bill Vol. 2
0 (0%)
Kill Bill (considered as a single cinematic unit)
1 (1.8%)
Death Proof
1 (1.8%)
Inglourious Basterds
5 (8.9%)
Django Unchained
3 (5.4%)
Four Rooms (the entire film may be considered)
0 (0%)
Other (i.e., I failed to understand the question, but I want to vote for True Romance, Natural Born Killers, From Dusk Till Dawn anyway)
0 (0%)
I don't even remember what part of Sin City QT did, but vote for it here if you're just compelled
0 (0%)
Kill Jaron, Vol. 3
4 (7.1%)
Jackie Brown
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

celedhring

I liked Jackie Brown to be honest. It features possibly the most likeable characters QT has ever created, mostly because they weren't his own but Elmore Leonard's. It's possibly his most mature film, too. Overall, since he took somebody else's story and made it his own (something he only did in Jackie Brown and in his Four Rooms episode) it's a pretty unique film compared to the rest of his work.

[spoiler]The ending between Max and Jackie is great, for example, when he realizes that even though he loves her and she loves him, after seeing what she's capable of he won't be able to fully trust her again[/spoiler]. For all its technical and dialogue wizardry, Tarantino doesn't have that many moments of genuine emotion in his films, and Jackie Brown has the most of them all.

Zanza

Pulp Fiction - only one from this list I watched several times

I saw Kill Bill, Django, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs and while they are good movies, they aren't as good as Pulp Fiction.
Haven't seen Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds or Four Rooms.

I was talking to one of our interns recently and she had never seen Pulp Fiction. Shows me that the movie and me are getting old. :(

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on February 02, 2014, 05:57:45 AM
I was talking to one of our interns recently and she had never seen Pulp Fiction. Shows me that the movie and me are getting old. :(

The other day my teenager cousin told me that the Matrix trilogy are "old films"  :bleeding:

Zanza

The Matrix has sequels? :P I prefer to forget about those.

Pedrito

Pulp Fiction, no doubt about it.

Reservoir Dogs comes second, then Kill Bill 1&2.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on February 02, 2014, 06:17:58 AM
Pulp Fiction, no doubt about it.

Reservoir Dogs comes second, then Kill Bill 1&2.

L.

This.

Sheilbh

Jackie Brown. Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction.

I think Tarantino's a rare example of critics and fans united.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

There are some haters, but they usually have two x chromosomes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Pulp Fiction by far. I watched it as a teenager and it blew my mind completely, was a total Tarantino fanboy for several years after that.

I'm still angry at the Oscars for giving the award that year to Forrest Gump.

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on February 02, 2014, 07:29:21 AM
Pulp Fiction by far. I watched it as a teenager and it blew my mind completely, was a total Tarantino fanboy for several years after that.

I'm still angry at the Oscars for giving the award that year to Forrest Gump.
:yes: Total travesty.  Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest films of all time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1&2, Reservoir Dogs, Django Unchained, Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds are all excellent movies. I picked Reservoir Dogs because Yi trashed it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on February 02, 2014, 04:06:40 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2014, 04:00:24 AM
Fuck, I forgot to include Jackie Brown.  Can I edit that in, or not, or what?

Edited in for you by your overlairds.

Can you correct Tim's spelling of Inglourious Basterds, too?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

death proof? Don't even know that one.

I played safe and went with Pulp Fiction. Most accessible and had a sense of humour throughout
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2014, 04:46:48 AM
I started film school in 1996, just a couple years after it came out, and 90% of the students were doing Pulp Fiction ripoffs as their student films. Jump 10 years later, to my first day of postgrad at Columbia; what's the lecture about? Pulp Fiction. It really was that important.

Everybody went ga-ga over the structure and dialogue of Pulp Fiction.  It's the extent to which they did so that's always been baffling; ultimately, it's a great film that became as influential as it did for reasons I don't fully understand.  I love the movie, but I love how it got Tarantino money for his four hour martial arts movie and for an thirty minute long car chase.  (For the same reason, I'm glad Jackie Brown was a disappointment. :P )

I keep wavering on Basterds.  There's something about that movie that I just don't like, even though I enjoy it while watching it and it's obvious that it's extraordinarily well-made.  It might be the two-sufficient-but-unrelated-plots aspect, or the feint toward humanizing the sniper OH BUT HE'S ACTUALLY REALLY EVIL LIKE ALL GERMANS, or maybe it's just how dumb the Basterds' MO is, because they carve swastikas into Heer enlisted men's foreheads, making the one Landa gets and deserves mean practically nothing other than he fought in the Second World War and happened to come across Aldo Raines.

P.S. For anybody who hasn't seen Four Rooms, if you can power through the crappy Allison Anders (who?) segment, it's pretty great.  The Alexandre Rockwell (also who?) segment that follows it is very funny, and the Rodriguez short with Antonio Banderas and his shitty children whom Tim Roth attempts to babysit is actually the best, and still has about the funniest denouement I've ever seen, with the Tarantino segment that ends it being only second best (although it is really excellent and gives it the feeling of being almost a proper movie).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I voted Pulp Fiction.

While Reservoir Dogs was excellent as a low-budget winner and a clinic in how to write an interesting script and storyline, it was the necessary baby steps that Tarantino's skills required before they could mature into the kind of work Pulp Fiction ultimately became, and PF was simply a paradigm shifter in scriptwriting, direction and cinematic storytelling. 

Pretty much everything else afterwards was your typical artist-makes-it-big-gets-free-budget-money-and-indulges-in-himself stuff, with the mild exception of KB 1.  But Pulp Fiction at the time was a truly pivotal masterpiece, the kind of movie that only comes along once in a generation, and changes how movies are structured.

Jackie Brown has my two favorite Tarantino scenes of all time, though, and Death Proof has arguably my favorite Kurt Russell role as the ultimate Last of The Alpha Malehicans, attempting to reclaim masculinity for us all in the post-feminist era by the only method left: muscle car murder.  How can you not dig that.

Tarantino just needs to knock it off with the feet thing for dogs like Uma Thurman and Rosario Dawson--that's right, Languish, she's a horse-faced dog, I said it--or at least keep picking chicks in Hollywood with better looking feet, like Diane Kruger.