Outsiders, Not Auto Plant, Battle U.A.W. in Tennessee

Started by jimmy olsen, January 31, 2014, 07:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

When have you been to Africa or Asia the last time? They have huge amounts of cars there, too many for the available infrastructure in the bigger cities and often in rural areas too.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
And while we're at it, the Big Three's oligopoly wasn't a result of protectionism, it was a result of strategic bombing.
And the big American temptation which is laziness. You've got such a huge domestic market there's less need to compete abroad. The companies in other countries that don't have that domestic market are improving and will come and get a slice of the US market too. That's a huge part of British post-war economic decline too.

QuoteI'm pretty rabidly anti-union, but if VW wants to welcome in a union with open arms, who are all these other people to try and stop them?
I like unions so I hope this works. It'll be good to get a test of Anglo-Saxon and German industrial relations. Interesting to see if it can work.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 08:06:13 PM
And the big American temptation which is laziness. You've got such a huge domestic market there's less need to compete abroad.

It's universally recognized that the American market is the most competitive in the world.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:07:50 PM
It's universally recognized that the American market is the most competitive in the world.
Okay. So you don't think a massive domestic market was one of the reasons for the laziness - shoddy workmanship, poor design, etc - and oligopoly?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 08:15:09 PM
Okay. So you don't think a massive domestic market was one of the reasons for the laziness - shoddy workmanship, poor design, etc - and oligopoly?

I think oligopoly was formed because of economies of scale and consolidation of smaller players into GM.  The vast majority of markets in the US are not characterized by oligopoly or monopoly.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2014, 03:45:54 PM
Shoddy workmanship I can see, but how are designed obsolescence and poor design a legacy of the unions?

They are not.  If you look again at Guller's post I was responding to, you'll see this:

"Onerous union contracts were just one of many cancerous legacies left behind from the protectionist times."

And while we're at it, the Big Three's oligopoly wasn't a result of protectionism, it was a result of strategic bombing.

Hey, it works.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

As much as it pains me to say it, our state-owned strategic bombing industry has been seriously outcompeted in recent years by a smaller, leaner private firm from Saudi Arabia.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on January 31, 2014, 10:19:41 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, our state-owned strategic bombing industry has been seriously outcompeted in recent years by a smaller, leaner private firm from Saudi Arabia.

I think you should do a comparative film review for the products. My take:

Our films are billed as showing major shit going down, but tend to be black and white, and distant. They show explosions which seem like they might be cool, but you don't get the sense of being there. They are probably edited to maintain a PG rating. The feeling is of a late 1990s video game. Grade: D. With a $700 billion a year budget, we expect a bigger spectacle.

Their films are much grittier. They tend to be up close and personal, and hold nothing back. This is NC 17 type stuff and not for the faint of heart. Since a 2001 when they had a rather remarkable production, their films have tended to be small scale. The men in these videos appear to be poorly groomed and insane. Too much religious content for my tastes. Grade: D. This stuff leaves you squirming, but they at least produce memorable impressions on a shoestring budget.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2014, 11:14:42 PM

Our films are billed as showing major shit going down, but tend to be black and white, and distant. They show explosions which seem like they might be cool, but you don't get the sense of being there. They are probably edited to maintain a PG rating. The feeling is of a late 1990s video game. Grade: D. With a $700 billion a year budget, we expect a bigger spectacle.

Their films are much grittier. They tend to be up close and personal, and hold nothing back. This is NC 17 type stuff and not for the faint of heart. Since a 2001 when they had a rather remarkable production, their films have tended to be small scale. The men in these videos appear to be poorly groomed and insane. Too much religious content for my tastes. Grade: D. This stuff leaves you squirming, but they at least produce memorable impressions on a shoestring budget.

:lol: Damn.  Can't we resurrect POTM for this?
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2014, 11:14:42 PM

You forgot the time loops.