News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My understanding is that in NY whenever a cop kills someone the DA is required to take the case before a grand jury.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2014, 08:25:58 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 30, 2014, 08:21:36 PM
Was the hold the cop did not allowed by the NYC police? When I first saw the video I thought the cop must have been in the wrong. But later I heard that it wasn't the chokehold that had been banned that he used, but basically a take down the cop used.

It may not have been technically a chokehold, but they don't teach you to take people down like that, either.

Do they teach you to shoot a guy with 41 bullets holding a wallet in his hands?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2014, 08:52:24 PM
Do they teach you to shoot a guy with 41 bullets holding a wallet in his hands?

Depends, shithead.  You, I'd use 82.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2014, 08:27:34 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 30, 2014, 08:21:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2014, 07:03:17 PM
In other news, the DA who decided to get the chokehold cop not indicted by the grand jury will likely run for Congress, for the seat vacated by Michael Grimm.  Something in this whole business doesn't smell right.

Was the hold the cop did not allowed by the NYC police? When I first saw the video I thought the cop must have been in the wrong. But later I heard that it wasn't the chokehold that had been banned that he used, but basically a take down the cop used. That may not be quite correct because so much noise has come out, and the Grand Jury info and verdict gets drowned out. But a Grand Jury has a very low bar to indict, much lower than a court trial evidence to actually convict someone of a crime. Same thing for the Ferguson Grand Jury where it really seemed a case of cop self defense.
The grand jury verdict does not get drowned out at all, everybody remembers perfectly well their results.  What's in doubt is the good faith of the prosecutors involved in the case.  Prosecutors everywhere have quite strong incentives to not antagonize police with which they work closely, so there is quite an enormous conflict of interest in the whole system.  The fact that grand juries are typically rubber stamps for prosecutors does more to advance the skepticism of their good faith in these cases than it does to clear the names of the officers involved.

Well then, find out if the Grand Juries aren't being done right, if prosecutors hold too much power, rather than this cop hating movement that just undermines the protests. Cops are being targeted now, ambushes, and a lot of hate being directed at the cops.

In the Ferguson case where it all started it seemed pretty clear that the cop acted in self defense. So why did that get so blown up into a cop hating spree? People still protest with "hands up, don't shoot" which apparently never happened.

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on December 30, 2014, 09:28:45 PM
Well then, find out if the Grand Juries aren't being done right, if prosecutors hold too much power, rather than this cop hating movement that just undermines the protests.
What people are protesting against is lack of accountability.  It only ends with complicit DAs;  it starts with fellow cops themselves.
QuoteIn the Ferguson case where it all started it seemed pretty clear that the cop acted in self defense. So why did that get so blown up into a cop hating spree? People still protest with "hands up, don't shoot" which apparently never happened.
It didn't start in Ferguson, that's just when the rage boiled over.  It often happens that way, sometimes the incident that pushes things over the edge turns out to be a less than ideal cause celebre.  That doesn't automatically negate all the ill will that has been building up for many years.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 12:05:50 PM
Right Grab On, racial profiling and arbitrary violence.  So either Di Blasio is desperately overegging the profiling pudding (why would his son need to take extra care about being pulled over for driving while black?) or he's accusing the NYPD of brutality towards blacks.

It is my impression that a significant percentage of the Black population of the US is very wary of the police, to the point that law-abiding citizens of those demographics consider "don't ever call the cops under any circumstances" good practical advice, and that humiliation, profiling, and being killed are thought significant risks of interacting with the police. In other words, getting "the talk" (like the one deBlasio gave his son) about how to behave around police to minimize the risk of being killed when they target you due to your race is a pretty common feature of growing up a Black boy; and that it is a common sense response to the facts.

That's my impression, anyhow. Given that, I'm wondering if you think that:

1) That it is inaccurate, and most Black people in the US in fact do not think law-abiding Black men are being unfairly targeted by the police in a biased fashion, nor do they think they are at higher risk of injury and death while interacting with the police? (So deBlasio is misrepresenting how the Black community views the situation)

2) Most Black people in the US do in fact have those fears, but those fears are unfounded - law-abiding Black men in the US are not targeted more frequently, nor are they at greater risk for negative outcomes from interacting with the police, even if they may think so? (So deBlasio is accurately representing how the Black community views the situation, but they are wrong in their perception)

3) Most Black people in the US do in fact have those fears, and those fears are well founded, but it is rude, impolite, or otherwise improper to bring them up? (So deBlasio is accurate and correct, but should not have talked about it)

garbon

Well I don't know about "any circumstances" but yes I do think there is a risk inherent with every interaction I have with the police.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2014, 07:15:56 PM
And traffic citations are down 94% for the last week:  http://jalopnik.com/traffic-stops-in-new-york-city-just-dropped-an-insane-9-1676382903.   :blink:  What a bunch of petulant thin-skinned scumbags.  Does PBA not realize that they're one publicized drunk-driving mass-casualty accident away from a shit-ton of negative publicity?

I could be wrong, but I've been told that NY cops make huge amounts of money. On Long Island I was told the starting salary is into the 6 figures (I realize that isn't NYC where it is less edit--and checking it seems it depends on experience, but the salaries are pretty high http://nypost.com/2014/02/28/struggling-suffolk-boosts-cops-pay/ ). The job must be far safer than it has been in the past.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Jacob on December 31, 2014, 12:28:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 12:05:50 PM
Right Grab On, racial profiling and arbitrary violence.  So either Di Blasio is desperately overegging the profiling pudding (why would his son need to take extra care about being pulled over for driving while black?) or he's accusing the NYPD of brutality towards blacks.

It is my impression that a significant percentage of the Black population of the US is very wary of the police, to the point that law-abiding citizens of those demographics consider "don't ever call the cops under any circumstances" good practical advice, and that humiliation, profiling, and being killed are thought significant risks of interacting with the police. In other words, getting "the talk" (like the one deBlasio gave his son) about how to behave around police to minimize the risk of being killed when they target you due to your race is a pretty common feature of growing up a Black boy; and that it is a common sense response to the facts.

That's my impression, anyhow. Given that, I'm wondering if you think that:

1) That it is inaccurate, and most Black people in the US in fact do not think law-abiding Black men are being unfairly targeted by the police in a biased fashion, nor do they think they are at higher risk of injury and death while interacting with the police? (So deBlasio is misrepresenting how the Black community views the situation)

2) Most Black people in the US do in fact have those fears, but those fears are unfounded - law-abiding Black men in the US are not targeted more frequently, nor are they at greater risk for negative outcomes from interacting with the police, even if they may think so? (So deBlasio is accurately representing how the Black community views the situation, but they are wrong in their perception)

3) Most Black people in the US do in fact have those fears, and those fears are well founded, but it is rude, impolite, or otherwise improper to bring them up? (So deBlasio is accurate and correct, but should not have talked about it)

How about they do have those fears, and there is some basis for having them, but they are overstated by a considerable degree?

Quote from: alfred russel
I could be wrong, but I've been told that NY cops make huge amounts of money. On Long Island I was told the starting salary is into the 6 figures (I realize that isn't NYC where it is less edit--and checking it seems it depends on experience, but the salaries are pretty high http://nypost.com/2014/02/28/struggling-suffolk-boosts-cops-pay/ ). The job must be far safer than it has been in the past.

Why would a high starting salary suggest that the job is safer than it used to be?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2014, 07:15:56 PM
Does PBA not realize that they're one publicized drunk-driving mass-casualty accident away from a shit-ton of negative publicity?

America works best when we say UNION YES!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on December 31, 2014, 01:41:23 PM

Why would a high starting salary suggest that the job is safer than it used to be?

It wouldn't. It is just that crime rates have plummeted in NYC (and elsewhere).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on December 31, 2014, 01:42:40 PM

So you decided to just randomly put two things that have nothing to do with each other together in not just the same post, but the same paragraph?

Jacob

Quote from: dps on December 31, 2014, 01:41:23 PMHow about they do have those fears, and there is some basis for having them, but they are overstated by a considerable degree?

So, the Black community has those fears and they have some basis in reality, but let's not get too carried away?

Yeah I guess that's option 2.5) - somewhere between 2) and 3). Fair enough.

Ed Anger

I hope the pigs tonight just totally slack off in Times Square.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on December 31, 2014, 01:45:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 31, 2014, 01:42:40 PM

So you decided to just randomly put two things that have nothing to do with each other together in not just the same post, but the same paragraph?

The intended theme of the paragraph was: NYC cops: quit acting like brats.

I was hoping the reader would get there by putting together the implications of:
Sentence 1 & 2: They make a lot of money
Sentence 3: Their jobs aren't so dangerous
combined with what I quoted from DGuller.

:)