Main Menu

Failed Utopian Cities

Started by Sheilbh, January 29, 2014, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2014, 09:34:23 AM
Columbia, Maryland.

Might have done better if it were not between Baltimore and D.C.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2014, 06:05:37 AM
Rooftop gardens are certainly something we need more of. Its weird it hasn't caught on and roofs tend to be just wasted space.

Rooftop gardens cost money, and not enough people demanding to hang out on roofs.

Probably better to turn rooftops into solar panel farms.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 30, 2014, 12:02:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2014, 06:05:37 AM
Rooftop gardens are certainly something we need more of. Its weird it hasn't caught on and roofs tend to be just wasted space.

Rooftop gardens cost money, and not enough people demanding to hang out on roofs.

Probably better to turn rooftops into solar panel farms.

Also, they would probably need to start re-designing roofs as currently many buildings try to limit access. Helps with both jumpers and fools just falling off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2014, 06:37:00 PM

QuoteThey were never built, but Fuller's idea for a pre-fab, geodesic dome dwelling called Dymaxion House eventually influenced the pre-fab house movement which is still going strong.

Only one Dymaxion House was ever made (Fuller was a constant tinkerer and wouldn't allow an incomplete design to go into production.)  It's at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI:

http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/dymaxion/index.html
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The original plan for Detroit was a wild design of hub and spokes (like Washington DC, but taken even further):

A failed utopia if there ever was one.  Only the upper portion of that (the necklace) was built.  The designer, Augustus Woodward, named the most important street after himself.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

And this utopia for Detroit never got off the ground.  :(