Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Dems raised $731,321,968 and spent $648,783,350

GOP raised $574,492,069 and spent $543,507,001

https://www.opensecrets.org/parties/

Looks like the GOP staff deserves a raise, while the Dems need some heads to roll.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2014, 12:48:00 AM
Such a waste of money.

Local TV/Radio stations and Youtube would disagree.  :sleep:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2014, 12:48:00 AM
Such a waste of money.
That doesn't even count the money raised by individual candidates.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2014, 11:41:21 PM
Hey, derspiess, did you hear that in WV, the Republicans captured both houses in the state legislature.  That's almost unbelievable. 

Yeah, I never ever thought that would happen, in addition to the three congresspeople and one GOP senator.

QuoteWhen I was in high school, IIRC the Democrats had a 33-1 edge in the state Senate and a 91-9 edge in the House.

Yeah, and now the people have finally come to their senses and have overthrown the old order. 

Long Live the 2014 Revolution.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 09, 2014, 04:18:13 PM

I don't know.  When that happened in Texas it was literally the same guys, they just changed their party label.  Is that what happened here?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2014, 08:23:03 PM

I don't know.  When that happened in Texas it was literally the same guys, they just changed their party label.  Is that what happened here?

Pretty much.  West Virginia was always the last of the Dixiecrat holdouts, and the Byrd political machine has run its course, dead and buried.  After 6 years of Obama = coal hate and the shrinking political power of the coal union, their opponents have naturally gravitated to the GOP.

jimmy olsen

Do we have an Languishites in Tennessee? Looks like becoming a high ranking democratic nominee is laughably easy there, and almost anyone here would be an improvement compared to who's actually run.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/08/charlie_brown_democratic_candidate_for_tennessee_governor_the_72_year_old.html

Dude lost

70.33% to 22.83%  :lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2014, 08:23:03 PM

That happened in only one case I know of-- the guy who unseated the Ayrab dude who had held my old district's House seat since the 70s was an ex-Dem.  As far as I know, the others are gen-yoo-wine Republicans.  Senator-elect Capito definitely is (her dad was a GOP governor).  The McKinley dude has have a GOP pedigree with a name like that.

But as before I'll defer to Seedy and his vast knowledge of WV politics :lol:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 10:24:18 AM

It's West Virginia.  Not exactly a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, dude.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2014, 10:27:15 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 10:24:18 AM

It's West Virginia.  Not exactly a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, dude.

Yeah.  Which is why it's laughable that you can't even get it right.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 10:57:53 AM
Yeah.  Which is why it's laughable that you can't even get it right.

Oh, nonsense.  Coal has swung the majority of the conservatives from the Democrats to the GOP over the course of the last several years, which made the specific targeting of certain long-standing incumbents as an election strategy a hell of a lot easier, The End. 

derspiess

I listed one Democrat-turned-GOP politician who won in WV.  Do you know of any others?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive