News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2022, 06:42:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2022, 05:49:56 AMUgh...been playing this game a lot these last two weeks. It's changed a lot since I last played four years ago and there's a lot to wrap my head around. This game is annoying though because it could be good. But isn't. Still, I'm addicted right now. In a few hours I'll bang my head against the wall, and then play some more.

Are you playing using Kaiserreich or vanilla?  KR is much better.

I've never used mods...I'm old.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2022, 05:05:16 PMI personally find HOI4 to be a strange game.  The QA part of the game seems to be really poor, and the arrogance of leaving major bugs and shortcomings unaddressed for years while pumping out DLCs is infuriating.  That said, I find myself getting sucked in again and again.

It does draw you in, and you think, maybe this time. There are several beefs I have with it. But primarily, the weakness of the AI, in particular the Allied AI. Mostly becasue the various countries don't coordinate. So you have Britain doing Dieppe raids all over the map, whilst the rest of the allies watch. I was playing as the USA and launched a fairly succesful invasion of France, but I needed backup, but the Brits were too busy sending divisiion after division into Greece. Plus half their units were in Africa.

I do find the Axis tend to respond better, particularly to invasions and seem to mass a solid defence. In another game, where I was Britain, Turkey joined the allies. Within days, the Axis launched three separate attacks on Turkey, one from the Balkans, one from Palestine and one from the Aegean.

I'm not sure where the Axis get their numbers from though. They have taken millions of casualties yet keep on coming.

And Germany walks through Russia.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011