News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2021, 01:03:01 PM
Has anyone ahd and hopefully solved the weirdness where you setup a task force to auto fill, and it just adds then removes then adds then removes over and over again a single ship?

I setup a CV TF with 2CVs, 2BB, 2CA, 4CL, and 20 DDs. It fills it up from reserve nicely, but then 1 of the 2 CVs just togglers back and forth between in and out of the TF.

I stopped using task force autofill after my first game.  I just let the TF do its thing until it has a significant number of ships damaged or under repair, then toggle it's combat mod off and send reinforcements to fill out the losses.  That way I don't have obsolete cruisers or whatever in my battle fleets while modern ones in my scouting forces.  It is more important to have modern ships for screening than for scouting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Task force auto-fill sometimes bugs out on me as well.  One thing I found is that for some reason, a fresh task force is less likely to bug out than the task force started from an existing historical fleet.  Not sure why.  This is one of the many delightful fit and finish issues with the game, where you kind of wish the developers spent more time ironing out bugs rather than adding fantasy nonsense to Bhutan's focus tree.

Razgovory

When you set up a taskforce you choose both a type of ship and the symbol of that ship.  The autofill only uses ships of the same type and symbol. For instance you might pick destroyers and symbol of shield.  The AI will only use destroyers with the shield symbol for autofill.  You can change the symbol by going back the ship design screen.  Change the icon for obsolete ships and they will no longer be used reinforcements.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2021, 06:30:55 PM
When you set up a taskforce you choose both a type of ship and the symbol of that ship.  The autofill only uses ships of the same type and symbol. For instance you might pick destroyers and symbol of shield.  The AI will only use destroyers with the shield symbol for autofill.  You can change the symbol by going back the ship design screen.  Change the icon for obsolete ships and they will no longer be used reinforcements.
That's not the issue for Berkut.  If the ship keeps joining and then detaching, then obviously the template thinks at least some of the time that the ship is of accepted type.  It's hard to say what kind of bug Berkut is running into, because there are so many of them in the fleet reinforcement mechanic.

Solmyr

I found this video a good start for naval warfare, explains what the missions are and which ships are good for them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3hvN1vDJQQ

DGuller

For SP games, for maximum effectiveness, I find that the best ratio of ships to build is 100% 1940 subs with snorkels, and 0% of anything else. 

Berkut

That cannot possible be correct.

I think you just made me want to just uninstall and go back to Stellaris or something
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

At least they fixed land combat a little.  Here is what you could do in patch 1.4:

Valmy

19 million to zero? The Germans really are super men.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

And it's stuff like that why I've never touched HOI III/IV. Four games in and they still can't even get combat avoiding the giggle test.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2021, 10:55:02 AM
This game came about from a debate with some "experts" on the HOI forum about mech infantry.  They kept saying that it was useless because it was way too expensive, and I was saying that it's good that it is so expensive, because it can be game-breaking in its effectiveness.  They said I was full of it.

To prove my point, I started a game with the sole purpose of creating such idiotic casualty ratios.  As Germany, I delayed my war with USSR until my entire army was fully mechanized.  I was showing these screenshots in that debate thread, and the "expert" said that all it proved was that I was a bad player, since I waited until 1943 to attack the Soviets.  :lol:  Paradox forums can be as amusing as their games.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 23, 2021, 10:58:14 AM
And it's stuff like that why I've never touched HOI III/IV. Four games in and they still can't even get combat avoiding the giggle test.
They do have some pretty elaborate focus trees for Mexico, though, you have to give them that.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2021, 11:01:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2021, 10:55:02 AM
This game came about from a debate with some "experts" on the HOI forum about mech infantry.  They kept saying that it was useless because it was way too expensive, and I was saying that it's good that it is so expensive, because it can be game-breaking in its effectiveness.  They said I was full of it.

To prove my point, I started a game with the sole purpose of creating such idiotic casualty ratios.  As Germany, I delayed my war with USSR until my entire army was fully mechanized.  I was showing these screenshots in that debate thread, and the "expert" said that all it proved was that I was a bad player, since I waited until 1943 to attack the Soviets.  :lol:  Paradox forums can be as amusing as their games.

:lol: Ahistorical results means you're terrible at the game!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Why didn't the Soviet AI ragequit?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien