News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

He definitely killed Hitler.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

He killed his dog. What a monster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Yes, Blondi didn't do anything wrong...I think. Maybe.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2020, 04:20:31 PM

It was Hitler's dog.  I'm sure it was trained to growl at Jews or something.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2020, 04:28:08 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2020, 04:20:31 PM

It was Hitler's dog.  I'm sure it was trained to growl at Jews or something.

It probably never saw a Jew in its life.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

I'm going to get this new DLC. I still enjoy the game, though I often don't play a nation too far into future as it gets tedious. IMO, they need more of a mechanism to cut down on the sheer numbers of divisions and aircraft that a nation can create. Currently limited by manpower but still a nation can have hundreds of divisions making it a tedious slog to battle through.

grumbler

The Road to 56 mod gives the game a lot more variability (not always realistic variability, but generally fun).  I had a game as the US where the USSR invaded Poland before Germany, so the Allies declared war on the USSR, and then on Germany when it also invaded Poland.  There was never a German-Soviet war, but both countries kept that border armed to the teeth. It took the Allies until 1946 to conquer Germany, and I never bothered with the war against the USSR, because I was exhausted with the game play by that point.  Still, it was a lot of fun.

I recommend the mod for anyone tired of the base game but who still wants to play in that sandbox.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

The new DLC appears to not be well-received? :unsure: I decided to steer clear after reading DDs.

Threviel

Why? More micro-management not fun?

DGuller

Quote from: Threviel on February 27, 2020, 10:07:59 AM
Why? More micro-management not fun?
Main gripe seems to be that DLCs are adding content much faster than it can be polished.  The new mechanics break things as usual.

Threviel

Reading up on it over at Paradox implies that players are angry over:

You can't build both Panthers and Tigers by '40.
You can't annex the balkans by events any more as Germany
You can't go to war footing by '36 as Germany.
Italy has been nerfed and is a useless major.
Minor countries don't fall over each other in their eagerness to join the axis.
Apparently you can now lose as Germany by not minding the resistance.
Naval game is more broken.
Releasing vassals is now a good thing.

So, it seems like a step in the right direction.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2020, 03:22:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 03:21:21 PM
Then why start it in 1936? If you just wanted a grand strategy game of this era 1920 would be a far superior starting date.

I think you know why they start in 1936.

Then why not start in February 1933?

I tend to agree with Valmy on this--if it's not supposed to be a WWII game, 1920 makes more sense as a starting year.

Razgovory

Are torpedo bombers still king?  In previous builds I would just buy a bunch of Naval bombers and destroy the enemies navy without ever needing my ships to go out in fight.  By the same token the my fleets would wiped out by the AI flooding the skies with CAS and tac bombers.  It made long range invasions very difficult.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017