News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2016, 03:45:34 AM
This was rather interesting with the comparison across all the iterations.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-development-diary-october-5th-2016.972485/

Agree.  I want to see more Dev Diaries like this for all games.

Josephus

They've certainly come a long way graphics wise. HOI 1 is almost quaint.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Phillip V

Anybody still playing HoI4 or waiting for 1.3 patch?

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Josephus

Quote from: Phillip V on November 29, 2016, 07:19:14 PM
Anybody still playing HoI4 or waiting for 1.3 patch?

i kinda stopped.

At first it was just a pause to play EUIV, and now I realized how much better EUIV is.

That said, I do have a free DLC coming and the patch, so I'll give it another go around Xmas.

It's not a bad game, but it becomes farily repetitive after a while.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I am waiting for the patch and for Josephus to report back on his impression of the patch.  :)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2016, 11:37:08 PM
I am waiting for the patch and for Josephus to report back on his impression of the patch.  :)
No nudity  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

frunk

I've played a bit of the latest patch (without the DLC).  The AI is a good bit better, as in it is less prone to complete stupidity.  There's a few UI improvements (Combat Ledger is nice, Air unit creation is better), but overall not a huge leap forward.  Worth a try if you were only mildly bothered by the problems last time you played, otherwise wait for future patches.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2016, 11:37:08 PM

So played from 1936-Jan 1 1945 as canada with new DLC. My original verdict of "this game COULD be good if only..." still stands.

Frist off: I'll run through a quick point form AAR of world events in this non-historical game.

France turned commie. Not sure when.
January 40 Germany invaded Poland. Britain didn't honour it's guarantee
in Feb. They annexed Poland and all the Baltic states. They didn't honor the ribbentrop pact.
March 1940 Start of Barbarossa. (this includes war with Commie France)
April 40 Britain finally dows Germany. Note WW2 is officially the Japanese-Chinese War.
July 40 France capitulates
Jan 41 Moscow falls
Feb 41 Treaty of Yalta annexed USSR and divided it between Germany and Japan. Yes. The USSR fell in 11 months.
April 42 India capitulates

And that was basically it. The USA joined in 1941 as well. Nat Spain joined Axis and took Gibraltar.

The problem here, similar to previous itinerations of this game, is the lack of a strong naval invasion. The Brits currently (1944-45) have about 150 divisions in England marching up and down the square. I have no idea how much USA has. They launch occasional invasions of Spain from Africa but don't create a beachhead, never reinforce, and eventually die. Rinse, lather, repeat. There's a lot of fighting in Africa amongst all nations. Fun to see Norwegians battle Japs in Liberia.

I, as Canada, can only do so much. The current Tech Tree for Canada forces you to either go production heavy (factory building) or manpower (Quebec conscription laws). I also did not realize that ending the depression was the bottom of a long chanin of an events branch. I assumed WW2 would end it. either way, I currently have zero manpower.

I launched one Dieppe style raid into Gibraltar, hoping the USA and Britain would reinforce my beach head but they didn't and I was beaten back. I have about 20-25 divisions and can't do much with them now.

The only success I had was staging a coup in Sicily. I now own Sicily, but with supply thin (not sure if not owning Gibraltar makes things worse supply wise) and no Allied help, I expect to be beaten back any day now.

Civis Romanus Sum

Razgovory

I've taken a stab at this.  I don't know how to convert civilian factories to military ones.  Fortunately WWII seems to be taking care of itself.  Germany and Japan seem to be waring war on the Soviet Union and the Allies all at once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I don't think you want to convert civilian factories to military ones, unless you're either desperate or have done everything with civilian factories you would ever want to.

Josephus

It's in the construction screen...I think. Same screen you use to build docks and stuff. At the bottom.
Civis Romanus Sum

frunk

I think the only time you would want to convert a civilian to military (or vice versa) would be if you've run out of space for building factories.  Otherwise it makes sense to just build another factory of the appropriate type.

Razgovory

Okay, I tried again, but it took forever to build any factories.  And WWII just sorted itself out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017