Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, Episode One

Started by Norgy, December 03, 2014, 11:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

A short review.

A Game of Thrones game does have a wide variety of characters and lore to choose from, so surprisingly, as the game starts out, you, the player is stuck with House Hasfuckall or something (you don't get to pick) from the North. The game, and I use that in the widest sense possible, begins during the Red Wedding. You get a choice to save someone, and watch it fail, then use WASD to avoid getting slaughtered, and you better have that Q key ready, because the progress of the story depends on your repeated stabbing of it.

You might think you get to stick with the character you first met? No, of course not. True to the multiple storylines of the novels and series, you get to juggle at least three different ones, all which are as wooden as you'd fear.

Do you get to do combat? Of course not. You get to do some maneuvering not to get killed, then click the left button of the mouse button at the right time to kill, push or maim someone.

Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, Episode One isn't so much a computer game as it is an animated story with some interaction from the user. As a computer game, it fails miserably and is finished in just over an hour.

At least The Banner Saga didn't promise to be anything else than an animated story with elements of RPG.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

I've had statistics in Excel sheets more challenging and telling better stories.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Oh for fucksake it is an adventure game.  You may not like the genre but stop whining about it not being a game.  Adventure games have been a staple of computer games since the late 70s.  It is Telltale games it did not promise shit beyond being an adventure game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2014, 12:28:56 PM
Welcome to Telltale Games, I guess?

Or an entire 40 year old genre comprising hundreds of games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

The plusses are that the characters like Cercei, Tyrion and Ramsay Snow are very close to their counterparts in the TV series.

Scipio

Waiting for sale. DA:Inquisition is taking all of my time.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 04:40:10 PM
Oh for fucksake it is an adventure game.  You may not like the genre but stop whining about it not being a game.  Adventure games have been a staple of computer games since the late 70s.  It is Telltale games it did not promise shit beyond being an adventure game.

I see them more as gussied up choose your own adventure books as opposed to point & click affairs. Still enjoy them, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

They have very good writing and I enjoyed them thoroughly. Also, the complaint about the game taking one hour to complete is misplaced - this is Telltale's business model, where they release a chapter every month or so. It is a small developer and this allows them to fund the development.

It may be not for you, but I agree with Valmy - especially as this genre goes, Telltale Games is probably the best developer on the market at the moment.

It's like complaining that Crusader Kings 2 has no random map generator and no tactical combat.

Norgy

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on December 04, 2014, 02:23:42 AM
I accept that I am in the wrong here.

You don't enjoy it, nothing wrong with that. :) There's plenty games/movies/TV shows that people love but that I don't enjoy. Don't let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't like/praise/enjoy. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

I expected something, and got something else, and wrote according to my expectations.
The story itself is a nice one. And I'll probably give it another playthrough to see how my choices affect the ending.