News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Car Woes.

Started by Darth Wagtaros, January 17, 2014, 08:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Surely the warranty is a liability of the parent company and not the dealership.  Which means the dealership denied the claim not because they are greedy peckerwoods, but because they think the parent company won't pay out for any work they do.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2014, 04:41:28 PM
Surely the warranty is a liability of the parent company and not the dealership.  Which means the dealership denied the claim not because they are greedy peckerwoods, but because they think the parent company won't pay out for any work they do.
:yes: That's what I thought.

Darth Wagtaros

I just spoke to a manager there, said that I was concerned about glass spontaneously shattering on a car I've only driven a few weeks, and my unhappiness with a large payout already.  He said I should be concerned, as the glass was broken in a strange manner and they had no idea why that would have happened.  Said I should call Subaru corporate to complain and that they'd send it up the the corporate ladder on their end.
PDH!

Barrister

Not necessarily.  I thought that while corporate covers warranty repair, they are less than generous in their rates, so dealerships have an incentive to decline warranty repairs if possible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2014, 04:58:37 PM

Not necessarily.  I thought that while corporate covers warranty repair, they are less than generous in their rates, so dealerships have an incentive to decline warranty repairs if possible.

Probably has a set list of what they will pay for certain repairs, and odd stuff that doesn't fit a particular known category has a low set reimbursement compared with the time it would take to fix the thing. Thus, the dealer could be considerably out of pocket if, say, it takes 5 hours to repair and the manufacturer only pays for 2. Hence the incentive to pass it on to the manufacturer and have them deal with it if it is an oddball issue - which seems to be what they are doing ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Replacing a cracked moon roof shouldn't be a crazy labor intensive job.  Mostly it will be a question of paying for the replacement part.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2014, 05:11:17 PM
Replacing a cracked moon roof shouldn't be a crazy labor intensive job.  Mostly it will be a question of paying for the replacement part.

The problem is that it isn't obvious why it was damaged. That may indicate a more expensive problem lurks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 17, 2014, 05:28:36 PM
The problem is that it isn't obvious why it was damaged. That may indicate a more expensive problem lurks.

Nothing says credibility quite like an econ major and a JD debating automotive engineering.  ^_^

garbon

If only DG had weighed in with his expert knowledge of cars.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2014, 05:31:39 PM

Nothing says credibility quite like an econ major and a JD debating automotive engineering.  ^_^

Hey, I know nothing whatsoever about auto engineering - but I do know something about people making claims for reimbursement on warranties.  :lol:

Edit: don't let BB catch you calling us JDs.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2014, 05:31:39 PM

:ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I don't get it.  I thought Malthus and CC had JDs and Beeb went the olde schule apprenticeship route.

No?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2014, 05:11:17 PM

Spontaneous cracking like that could be anything from a bad sheet of glass (replace the glass) to a deformity in the roof frame (replace the car).

katmai

@Yip, no idea, just know don't get Beeb started on JD's :bleeding:
Should be in PDH's drinking sig.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son