News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Point of Attack 2 - anyone knows if it's good?

Started by Syt, March 14, 2009, 02:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I saw this on HPS' site:
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/DA/decisive_action.html

It's a civilian version of a training software they developed for US military.

QuotePOA2 is a modern tactical level simulation that depicts combat over a wide range of circumstances and levels, from platoons and individual vehicles to company or higher sized units.   It features complete depiction of supporting artillery, air strikes, electronic warfare, engineer, chemical warfare, helicopter, naval, and psyop units, network communications, and satellites.   

Units are depicted with official NATO symbology. Scenarios include Germany, Korea, Southwest Asia, and the US Army's National Training Center, along with hypothetical terrorist attacks on US soil.

Astonishing Simulation

Continuing, and expanding upon, the tradition of the critically-acclaimed
Point of Attack, Tigers on the Prowl, and Panthers in the Shadows,
Point of Attack 2 is an astonishingly comprehensive and detailed modern combat simulator. The weapons database includes hundreds of systems from circa 1960 into those the might be fielded the near future, all modeled in amazing detail. The ammunition types include cluster munitions, missiles, bombs, rockets, kinetic energy rounds, and even hypothetical energy weapons.   Systems that are modeled include:

Point Missile Defense
Radar
Laser
Decoy systems
Jamming systems
NBC defense
Mines
Remote sensors
Naval units
Air forces
Terrorists
Civilians
Satellites
Communications Networks
and much more.

Point of Attack 2 is a "game" unlike any other ever available for the civilian market.  It is not for everyone--it is a product designed to accurately model the minute intricacies of modern weapons systems to a degree which casual gamers may find cumbersome, even excessive.  POA2 values 'brutal' realism above all else.

It comes with ca. 1000 weapons systems:
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/POA2/Wpn%20Sys%20Name%20List.TXT
From T-90 to T-54 (and the variants in between), to Leopards, Chinese weapons, infantry, emergency and news teams, guerillas, naval and airsupport it's pretty much all there.

The game is turn based, similar to Combat Mission - you give orders, watch your troops trying to act them out (including time delays etc.) to their best of their abilities, then give orders again.

Looks really interesting, if maybe a wee bit too hardcore for my tastes. HPS sells at 59.99 $, NWS offers it at 32.99 $.

Supposedly it's easy to integrate maps yourself (say, using Google Maps), too.

??? ??? ???
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I remember reading on Usenet that it was buggy as hell. Don't know if it got fixed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lucidor

Syt

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 14, 2009, 03:16:09 PM
I remember reading on Usenet that it was buggy as hell. Don't know if it got fixed.

Forum posts look positive; patching seems to have fixed a lot.

It also seems that making maps is a bitch because of the insanely huge BMPs required.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2009, 06:03:12 AM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 14, 2009, 03:16:09 PM

Forum posts look positive; patching seems to have fixed a lot.

It also seems that making maps is a bitch because of the insanely huge BMPs required.

Damn big ass Russian IFVs
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017