What's the Languish perspective on Gen. Petraeus?

Started by Malthus, January 09, 2014, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 11, 2014, 02:15:31 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 11, 2014, 01:07:05 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 11, 2014, 12:53:50 AM
How do you pass psych evals?
Well, to start with he casts his heroes as Julius Caesar rather than Sulla.
Sulla marched in to Rome at the head of a coup to try to restore his version of the traditional order to a Republic.  Can't really say Caesar did that.
In a modern context, Caesar is superior.  A modern Sulla would be like some Republican general marching to bring back the 1950s (although no doubt with much lower tax rates).
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2014, 10:12:12 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 11, 2014, 02:15:31 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 11, 2014, 01:07:05 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 11, 2014, 12:53:50 AM
How do you pass psych evals?
Well, to start with he casts his heroes as Julius Caesar rather than Sulla.
Sulla marched in to Rome at the head of a coup to try to restore his version of the traditional order to a Republic.  Can't really say Caesar did that.
In a modern context, Caesar is superior.  A modern Sulla would be like some Republican general marching to bring back the 1950s (although no doubt with much lower tax rates).

Sounds dreamy. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2014, 12:24:46 PM
I hear this phrase from time to time, what is a full bird colonel?

Army Colonels are always flying around over the battlefield to have a better situational awareness, so they are called birds.

Seriously, the rank of Colonel is an Eagle. 

While a Lieutenant Colonel Rank Insignia is a silver-colored oak leaf.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 11, 2014, 08:53:49 AM
Siegey should watch Seven Days in May

I don't watch movies.
Recommend a book if you please.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on January 11, 2014, 10:01:47 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 11, 2014, 08:53:49 AM
Siegey should watch Seven Days in May

I don't watch movies.
Recommend a book if you please.

Okay, read Seven Days in May.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

Quote from: Warspite on January 11, 2014, 07:59:38 AM
I think Petraeus can be credited with a significant contribution to turning Iraq's security situation around. He was also a key high-level patron for a cadre of officers who argued for a new operational and tactical approach, the importance of which is often easy to forget. Try getting anything disruptive done in any organisation without an energetic senior backer.

Yes, he was politically astute and knew how to work the media well, but above a certain level of seniority, the art of generalship begins to take on political overtones, particularly when it comes to winning bureaucratic struggles back home as well as the exercise of theatre command.

I've met him a couple of times; he seems like a genuinely decent man. On one trip through the UK, he took the time to participate in a private seminar with students and young researchers. It was all off the record, so there was no PR gain for him, and none of us were politically connected - but he took the meeting seriously, was generous with his time in a packed schedule, and gave answers as frank as anyone in his position could realistically do. I think that said a lot about him.

Of course, his record is mixed, and the Broadwell affair was a silly indiscretion. But the counter-cult of Petraeus went a little too far, I felt, in trying to peg him back down.

Thanks again.

It is first-hand experience like yours and Alcibiades' that keeps me reading Languish.  :cheers:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2014, 06:01:37 PM
CC never watched MASH.

Thats where I think I heard it the most.  Thanks for the explanations all.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 10, 2014, 11:53:47 AM
Apparently he was as 'career orientated' as could be as an officer in the army, which you military folks will know is a bad thing.  Very cut throat and took all credit for his underlings while not hesitating to throw them under the bus whilst forming a 'cult' of followers around him.

Kind of difficult to avoid in an organizational culture built upon a "move up or move out" philosophy, isn't it?