News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

gay marriage legalized in New Hampshire

Started by Caliga, June 03, 2009, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 08:22:35 PM
Take pride in your bloated system if you like.
I did some googling and, so far as I can tell, they're paid $100 a year and meet once a week.  Each one represents 3 000 constituents.  I quite like the sound of the system to be honest :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2009, 08:27:47 PM
I did some googling and, so far as I can tell, they're paid $100 a year and meet once a week.  Each one represents 3 000 constituents.  I quite like the sound of the system to be honest :)

New Hampshire. :thumbsup:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2009, 08:27:47 PM
Smacks too much of direct democracy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on June 03, 2009, 08:27:26 PM
Indeed I take pride that the "Neil Persona" who is a racist homophobe monarchist hates USA, wouldn't want it any other way.

:yes:

Although monarchies can be lovely. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Faeelin on June 03, 2009, 06:50:31 PM
The reason I said New Jersey is that there's a feeling it's a fait accompli if Corzine wins reelection; it's unclear how likely this is, since he's currently behind in the polls, but we'll see.

It's a fait accompli, but has nothing to do with the governortard. In NJ, we created a board to monitor the rights of homosexual partnerships when we instituted civil unions; that board has ruled pretty conclusively that civil unions were a step in the right direction, but not enough. We'd actually be more likely to pass it with Corzine gone, since he's such a polarizing figure on budget issues that our state legislature has been completely bottlenecked on money.

It should actually have been in the pipeline since 2007 here, so I wouldn't bet on us being the next state to legalize.
Experience bij!

Faeelin

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 04, 2009, 09:59:24 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on June 03, 2009, 06:50:31 PM
The reason I said New Jersey is that there's a feeling it's a fait accompli if Corzine wins reelection; it's unclear how likely this is, since he's currently behind in the polls, but we'll see.

It's a fait accompli, but has nothing to do with the governortard. In NJ, we created a board to monitor the rights of homosexual partnerships when we instituted civil unions; that board has ruled pretty conclusively that civil unions were a step in the right direction, but not enough. We'd actually be more likely to pass it with Corzine gone, since he's such a polarizing figure on budget issues that our state legislature has been completely bottlenecked on money.

It should actually have been in the pipeline since 2007 here, so I wouldn't bet on us being the next state to legalize.

The reason I think it's a fait accompli with Corzine is because I wish you good luck getting it passed with Christie in his place. You could probably manage it by taking it to the NJ Supreme Court again, with the board's holding a sign that civil unions had failed in meeting the court's order to give gays and lesbians equal rights with married couples. But I don't think they plan on doing it.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 08:24:01 PM

I don't think anyone takes pride in New Hampshire. :tinfoil:
My take is that New Hampshire is, or was at least, one of the more efficient and smaller State governments. Their legislature is only part time, gets low or no pay, and the State govt hasn't really morphed into a big conglomerate like many other states. That's changing as they go more liberal, embrace more govt, spending and programs, and as more Mass residents flee to NH. 

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on June 04, 2009, 11:41:59 AM
That's changing...as more Mass residents flee to NH.

NH ought to close its borders to Masstards. ;)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on June 04, 2009, 12:15:04 PM
Quote from: KRonn on June 04, 2009, 11:41:59 AM
That's changing...as more Mass residents flee to NH.

NH ought to close its borders to Masstards. ;)
Agreed there. Being that NH was the last sensible State run government in New England, they needed some kind of protection!   :cool:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Faeelin on June 04, 2009, 11:08:58 AM
The reason I think it's a fait accompli with Corzine is because I wish you good luck getting it passed with Christie in his place. You could probably manage it by taking it to the NJ Supreme Court again, with the board's holding a sign that civil unions had failed in meeting the court's order to give gays and lesbians equal rights with married couples. But I don't think they plan on doing it.

I don't believe Christie's a total moron; we've got a pretty significant GBLT community in NJ, especially in Mercer County. His official stance is this:

QuoteI also believe marriage should be exclusively between one man and one woman. While, I have no issue with same sex couples sharing contractual rights, I believe that marriage should remain the exclusive domain of one man and one woman. If a bill legalizing same sex marriage came to my desk as Governor, I would veto it. If the law were changed by judicial fiat, I would be in favor of a constitutional amendment on the ballot so that voters, not judges, would decide this important social question.

He'd actually be pretty easy to turn around; all we'd have to do is prove to him that the term is so legally loaded that you couldn't achieve the contractual rights without the name, that he'd either sign it with vocal dissent or have it sent back through as the state recognizing all "marriages" as civil unions and leaving "marriage" proper in the hands of the churches.
Experience bij!

Martinus

I saw an anti-gay-marriage commercial, featuring a Christian mixed race couple. Irony, much?  :lol:

Jaron

The gay marriage movement may have a positive effect on helping the once controversial biracial marriage be swept under the rug of social acceptance.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Faeelin

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 04, 2009, 09:04:08 PM
I don't believe Christie's a total moron; we've got a pretty significant GBLT community in NJ, especially in Mercer County. His official stance is this:

QuoteI also believe marriage should be exclusively between one man and one woman. While, I have no issue with same sex couples sharing contractual rights, I believe that marriage should remain the exclusive domain of one man and one woman. If a bill legalizing same sex marriage came to my desk as Governor, I would veto it. If the law were changed by judicial fiat, I would be in favor of a constitutional amendment on the ballot so that voters, not judges, would decide this important social question.

He'd actually be pretty easy to turn around; all we'd have to do is prove to him that the term is so legally loaded that you couldn't achieve the contractual rights without the name, that he'd either sign it with vocal dissent or have it sent back through as the state recognizing all "marriages" as civil unions and leaving "marriage" proper in the hands of the churches.

Eh. Given that, as you pointed out,t the state's already found there is an ineqauality, this seems pretty optimistic. My guess is he'd just veto the bill.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on June 05, 2009, 01:23:05 AM
I saw an anti-gay-marriage commercial, featuring a Christian mixed race couple. Irony, much?  :lol:
Given the important work of both black and white churches during the Civil Rights movement I don't think so.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point