And we're back!

Main Menu

A Chinese hypothetical

Started by Razgovory, December 30, 2013, 10:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: sbr on December 31, 2013, 12:41:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 31, 2013, 12:37:25 PM
I agree with Jacob. I'd add that I think much the same goes for Iran if there were a democratic revolution.

Does Iran have many territorial claims?

Against Bahrain, United Arab emirates, and Oman.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

They should go back to calling it the Kingdom of the Parthians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I can't help but notice Bahrain, the UAE and Oman are missing there :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2013, 08:51:09 PM

:unsure:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2013, 09:08:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2013, 08:51:09 PM

:unsure:

You expect Siege to read the maps he posts?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

He posted a (correct) fact about modern Iran having territorial disputes with Gulf states (over islands and the associated seafloor rights). He then posted an entirely unrelated map overlaying one of the old Persian empires on modern borders, on which said islands would be too small to appear.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Savonarola

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 01, 2014, 04:54:27 AM
He posted a (correct) fact about modern Iran having territorial disputes with Gulf states (over islands and the associated seafloor rights). He then posted an entirely unrelated map overlaying one of the old Persian empires on modern borders, on which said islands would be too small to appear.

But Baharain, UAE and Qatar are on the map Siege posted.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grinning_Colossus

Iran's territorial disputes aren't over those countries' mainlands, only islands in the Gulf.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on January 02, 2014, 02:22:42 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 01, 2014, 04:54:27 AM

But Baharain, UAE and Qatar are on the map Siege posted.

But the map does not illustrate any alleged territorial conflicts between Iran and those countries, thus failing to support his claim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Jacob on January 02, 2014, 02:29:31 PM

But the map does not illustrate any alleged territorial conflicts between Iran and those countries, thus failing to support his claim.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood Josq's post.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Anyway, I'm not sure if pushing territorial claims precludes the US from being friendly, after all the ROC has pushed some of those claims and is a US ally.  India has pushed some it's claims and today enjoys a warm relationship with the US.  The US has a tendency toward trying to maintain good relationship with as many powers as possible, often for the sake of having good relations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Weakk attentpmt to bring the thread back on tropic, Raz.