And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you rather---DP or life?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 28, 2013, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose a rapid death penalty or life in prison

Death. Tomorrow at dawn.
9 (40.9%)
Life in jail as a slave of the state, Number Six.
13 (59.1%)
Hikikomori is the way to go. I am stored away by choice.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

MadImmortalMan

The phrase "At least he didn't get the death penalty" has always been a little baffling to me. It only makes sense in the context of a long, drawn out mess of years spent as a prisoner waiting to die. But if the alternative is immediate execution, I would far rather have that. Is life really worth having if you spend it as a slave sitting in storage with no ability to do anything?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Life imprisonment is utterly immoral.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Dude, I spend my life sitting in storage waiting to die.  It's not so bad.  Being dead though, there's no take backs when you are dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2013, 05:35:46 PM
Dude, I spend my life sitting in storage waiting to die.  It's not so bad.  Being dead though, there's no take backs when you are dead.
So then the state should also execute you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Depends. A civilized jail or Machiavellian pound-you-in-the-ass gaol?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on December 28, 2013, 06:22:33 PM
Depends. A civilized jail or Machiavellian pound-you-in-the-ass gaol?

Yeah, I mean, life in Danish prison is 16 years with cable and a cell for yourself. But life in an American prison, shoot me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Slave, probably.  Maybe nice agricultural work in the Roman Empire in Corsica or Sardinia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on December 28, 2013, 06:24:54 PM
Slave, probably.  Maybe nice agricultural work in the Roman Empire in Corsica or Sardinia.

Sorry. You go to the mines. Next!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Five death votes, no life imprisonment votes.

But when I bring it up, I'm a real monster.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Forgot to vote.  Also a prisoner is not a slave, they can't be forced to do work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2013, 06:35:15 PM
Five death votes, no life imprisonment votes.

But when I bring it up, I'm a real monster.
Wait, why are you a monster?

Ideologue

Well, on second thought, I think it was just Beeb or somebody getting on my case.  You know, one of those jokers who "values human life."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

That's ridiculous.  I can't believe that a guy whose job it is to send people to jail could possibly see any value in human life.  Otherwise, how could he do something so antisocial?

Sheilbh

Life. I'm assuming in a prison system that doesn't have mass rape. I could get a lot of reading done.
Let's bomb Russia!