News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Loading Movie Files

Started by Monoriu, December 24, 2013, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

If you already have a SSD, 8gb of ram, good processor and a decent video card something else is wrong if you can't play video files without lag.

Listen to Vrick, try to see how it plays without subtitles, just to test to see if it helps.

Clean your machine, if you don't dare turn off the antivirus because it does stuff, well.. then.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on December 26, 2013, 09:30:30 AM
If you already have a SSD, 8gb of ram, good processor and a decent video card something else is wrong if you can't play video files without lag.

Listen to Vrick, try to see how it plays without subtitles, just to test to see if it helps.

Clean your machine, if you don't dare turn off the antivirus because it does stuff, well.. then.

Tested it with subtitles off.  Doesn't help. 

I already have a 128GB SSD.  That's where I put Windows 7 and Steam.  It is always full though.  So I am thinking of getting a 512GB SSD.  Are there 1T SSDs?

Vricklund

Quote from: Liep on December 26, 2013, 09:30:30 AM

Sometimes people doesn't want you to solve the problem, they just want you to tell them they're doing the right thing. ;)

One of those i7 cores running at half speed, with a regular hdd and a quarter of the ram available would probably suffice.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on December 26, 2013, 09:19:03 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 26, 2013, 09:09:32 AM

Your power supply is massive overkill, so you're good on that front (I only used a 525W in my gaming rig, FYI).  As to the processor, that motherboard takes an Intel Core i3/i5/i7, so you've definitely got a 64-bit processor in there.

Is 24GB RAM good enough?
24gb RAM is overkill for today.  I personally don't see massive improvements going from 8gb to 12gb, but they are there.  From 12gb to 16gb, I haven't see any differences.

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8 at this point.  Maybe next year, but today, there's not enough difference with Windows 7 to justify the minor improvements in performance (something you can see in benchmark tests, not in real life, usually).

I'd say your rig is fine as it is, except the RAM and the video card maybe, but I'm still not convinced it would make a difference with your video file problem.

Other players you could try:
Gom Player

Also, Media Player Classic, bundles in K-Lite codec pack:
http://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_full.htm
This one contains lots of stuff, too much for what you need, but try it if nothing else works.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

I'd like a quiet computer.  Any tips for keeping the computer quiet?  I already have windows in SSD drive, a supposedly quiet case with few fans, and a liquid cooler.  Anything else that I should use to keep it quiet?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on December 26, 2013, 07:56:15 PM
I'd like a quiet computer.  Any tips for keeping the computer quiet?  I already have windows in SSD drive, a supposedly quiet case with few fans, and a liquid cooler.  Anything else that I should use to keep it quiet?

How big are your fans?  Larger fans need to spin less to move the same amount of air, so tend to be quieter.  Usually, the cheap ones that you'll end up with are 75-80mm, but they go up to 200mm, which are almost silent.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 27, 2013, 01:46:48 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 26, 2013, 07:56:15 PM

How big are your fans?  Larger fans need to spin less to move the same amount of air, so tend to be quieter.  Usually, the cheap ones that you'll end up with are 75-80mm, but they go up to 200mm, which are almost silent.

No idea.  I just went to the computer shop, discussed my requirements, and haggled like mad.  Then dragged the assembled computer home. 

Monoriu

Ok I now lean toward the "icing on the cake" approach instead of "replacing the computer" approach. 

Quotation: US$550, including parts and labour

Kingston 4G DDR3 1333RAM x2
12CM case fan
Samsung 840 500GB SSD
Data and operating system transfer from 128GB SSD to 500GB SSD
3 or 4 other minor fixes and checking

Am I being ripped off?   :ph34r:

Liep

Yes, why would you need a 500gb SSD? Keep your old and buy a much cheaper 1TB HDD to store your movie files and other large files, pictures, music, etc. Making room on your c:\ will probably also help you play those video files.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on December 27, 2013, 06:15:26 AM
Yes, why would you need a 500gb SSD? Keep your old and buy a much cheaper 1TB HDD to store your movie files and other large files, pictures, music, etc. Making room on your c:\ will probably also help you play those video files.

I already have 5 HDD with a total capacity of 17TB.  Don't need more HDD.  My SSD of 128GB however is full just to store Windows and Steam games.  I want a bigger SSD so that I can play some of the blu-ray rips there if I want.   

Liep

Ok, you know you can install steam games on different drives, right? Anyhoo, the 500gb ssd alone would be around $500 here, so...

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on December 27, 2013, 06:27:45 AM
Ok, you know you can install steam games on different drives, right? Anyhoo, the 500gb ssd alone would be around $500 here, so...

Yeah but then you live in Denmark, where everything is marked up 200%  ;)

Liep

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on December 27, 2013, 06:19:49 AM
I already have 5 HDD with a total capacity of 17TB.  Don't need more HDD.  My SSD of 128GB however is full just to store Windows and Steam games.  I want a bigger SSD so that I can play some of the blu-ray rips there if I want.   
128gb is too small for a SSD, but 256 is ok.  512 is very nice, but I fear you are paying extra for nothing.
Personally, I have 4TB hdd space and a 256gb SSD, I simply shuffle around my big games from the HDD to the SSD.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on December 28, 2013, 12:59:32 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 27, 2013, 06:19:49 AM
128gb is too small for a SSD, but 256 is ok.  512 is very nice, but I fear you are paying extra for nothing.
Personally, I have 4TB hdd space and a 256gb SSD, I simply shuffle around my big games from the HDD to the SSD.

When I bought it 2 years ago, they tried to sell me the 64GB SSD.  I insisted in a 128GB one.  I am very happy with that decision.  Now, the same shop tried to sell me the 256GB SSD.  I insist in a 500GB one.  I hope I will be happy with this decision too.  The difference is about US$150 or so.  My main concern is that I don't want to change anything after the purchase.  I can't install any hardware myself, and moving the computer to the shop is a huge operation for us.  I have to make sure that I don't need to buy anything after this.