News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Posthumous Royal Pardon for Alan Turing

Started by jimmy olsen, December 24, 2013, 01:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2013, 10:02:41 AM
Yep. The word pardon seems wrong and singling out Turning, though he was great, isn't fair.
There should instead be a more general purpose statement that the law as it stood was wrong and the country now begs forgivness of those it fucked over in its more ignorant times.

Following that statement, I bet there will be lawsuits seeking damages.  Therefore, before we release such a statement, we need to seek legal advice from the department of justice or whatever you call the lawyers over there.  We also need to seek clearance from the Treasury to see if they have the money to pay.  If the lawyers are not ready to say what we want them to say, or the Treasury folks aren't prepared to pay, we need to talk to our own bosses to convince them to talk to their bosses.  Now, I imagine that the lawyers will say something to the effect of, if we pardon everybody under this law, people will think of other unjust laws, and will seek to overturn those convictions as well.  The Treasury people will say something like, oh sure, if you want to pay, YOU pay.  Don't involve us.  Don't expect more allocation from us.  You still have x% underspending in the last 5 years etc etc. 

That is why such a statement will not be made. 

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Yep. The word pardon seems wrong and singling out Turning, though he was great, isn't fair.
There should instead be a more general purpose statement that the law as it stood was wrong and the country now begs forgivness of those it fucked over in its more ignorant times.

:bleeding:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on December 24, 2013, 10:12:14 AM

Wow, I really know what you're disagreeing with there.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2013, 10:32:15 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 24, 2013, 10:12:14 AM

Wow, I really know what you're disagreeing with there.

Apologizing for stuff that happened in the past that nobody living had anything to do with.  How far back are you going to go with that?  Just move on.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

And let's face it, it's not like fucking over fags was an especially bad thing.  It was just part of the cost of advancing civilization.  Now that we've decided that being civilized is a bad thing, we can afford to be a little more lenient with poisonous influences like gays.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on December 24, 2013, 10:37:53 AM

Apologizing for stuff that happened in the past that nobody living had anything to do with.  How far back are you going to go with that?  Just move on.
Now its my turn: :bleeding:
I think you missed the point. That is already being done, since that is so we should do it properly.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Nah.  Just move on.  Worry about things that actually matter.

Admiral Yi

Presumably *any* change in the law implies that the situation obtaining prior to the law was less just.  Should *all* laws be accompanied by an apology for the prior injustice?

Savonarola

At least the British haven't pardoned Admiral Byng.  It's still necessary to encourage the others.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock