News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

U.S. income inequality worst since 1928

Started by jimmy olsen, December 10, 2013, 03:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on December 13, 2013, 04:02:52 PM
Rich people don't pay enough taxes = they tend to form an aristocracy, as in ancient europe.  The next generation inherit their wealth, with not much to do to maintain their standard of living (see Paris Hilton, no talent, but lots of money.  Do we want a nation of Paris Hilton?)

Bad example. She's actually made quite a bit of money on her own.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 09:55:39 PM
As Berkut and I discussed the other day.  This is a real failing of the right as they view the only good regulation as no or very limited regulation.

Your statement does not logically follow from my post.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2013, 02:48:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 09:55:39 PM
As Berkut and I discussed the other day.  This is a real failing of the right as they view the only good regulation as no or very limited regulation.

Your statement does not logically follow from my post.

Your post seemed to say that the way to have good regulation is to have much less of it, which seems perfectly in line with CC's characterisation.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2013, 12:20:00 PM
Your post seemed to say that the way to have good regulation is to have much less of it, which seems perfectly in line with CC's characterisation.

I was saying that the countries that are usually referred to when talking about gains to growth from improving regulatory environments are shit holes with horrible red tape.  Generally speaking it's not a subject that comes up when talking about sources of growth in well run first world countries.

MadImmortalMan

So. That wealth gap thingie. Anybody see the markets today? This whole year we've had the stock market going to the moon and the economy staying in the toilet. Still a mystery where that wealth gap is coming from?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2013, 10:10:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 13, 2013, 04:02:52 PM
Rich people don't pay enough taxes = they tend to form an aristocracy, as in ancient europe.  The next generation inherit their wealth, with not much to do to maintain their standard of living (see Paris Hilton, no talent, but lots of money.  Do we want a nation of Paris Hilton?)

Bad example. She's actually made quite a bit of money on her own.

She wouldn't have made a dime of it without the leg up she already had.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Perhaps not, but she doesn't fit the idle rich living off inherited investments paradigm.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 18, 2013, 06:48:22 PM
So. That wealth gap thingie. Anybody see the markets today? This whole year we've had the stock market going to the moon and the economy staying in the toilet. Still a mystery where that wealth gap is coming from?  :P

Yet everyone knows where the Gap of Rohan is.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers