60% of those younger than 30 say the main cause of the ACW was States Rights

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

dps

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2013, 10:54:03 PM
I'd like to talk about the Spanish Civil War some more, personally.

The Spanish Civil War was neither civil, nor a war.  DISCUSS.

Was it Spanish?

KRonn

The issue of state's rights seemed mainly to be about the ability for Southern states to hang onto slavery, rather than the overall issue of states versus federal authority. But it would be interesting to hear if there was the real issue of the federal government becoming larger and that some states were objecting over the intrusion of power. Maybe that was going on but only the slave holding states rebelled anyway so that would seem to show me that the main issue was still slavery.

I have read that slavery would likely have come to an end anyways in a couple or few decades. It had to be becoming an outmoded practice and I would think as the late 1800s came around that even more and more people in the South would have been coming out against it.

I wonder if the kids today that are thinking that the ACW was more about states rights are looking at the federal vs states today and how much more power the feds have, and making the correlation that the ACW must have been an attempt to slow down federal expansion of power.

lustindarkness

:hmm: Holding slaves was state law, so yes, the ACW was over state rights, at least one right in specific. 
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

See I thought the crux of the issue was the protection of slave ownership under the Fifth amendment (deprived of property with due process of law blah blah) and the ability of slave owners to take their legal property into the territories.  Not even the Republicans were calling for abolition inside the Southern States.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on December 19, 2013, 09:49:25 AM
I wonder if the kids today that are thinking that the ACW was more about states rights are looking at the federal vs states today and how much more power the feds have, and making the correlation that the ACW must have been an attempt to slow down federal expansion of power.

That is how the Lost Causers tried to sell it even back in the 19th century.  But Lost Causers have always been about retroactively rationalizing the Confederacy for whatever thing they feel they would have liked the Confederacy to be about.

But it is total nonsense.  Both the Federal and Confederate governments did things during the war the pre-ACW federal government never would have dreamed of doing.  And all those extra-ordinary powers pretty much went away in 1876 anyway so the ACW did not significantly expand the Federal Government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

This reminds me... when I was at the Museum of the Confederacy a few weeks back these two old dudes were walking through the exhibits and one of the old guys goes "I can't look at any more of these things, I'm getting too emotional" :bleeding:

I took a ton of pics and I guess I should post some of them at some point.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2013, 11:59:41 AM
This reminds me... when I was at the Museum of the Confederacy a few weeks back these two old dudes were walking through the exhibits and one of the old guys goes "I can't look at any more of these things, I'm getting too emotional" :bleeding:

He remembers when his grandfather was telling him stories about the stories HIS grandfather told him.  Really hits close to home.

Caliga

In his defense, I think he said that in the room where they have the flags from most (or all?) of the Virginia regiments that were destroyed in Pickett's Charge.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2013, 12:15:49 PM
In his defense, I think he said that in the room where they have the flags from most (or all?) of the Virginia regiments that were destroyed in Pickett's Charge.

I can get that.  All those poor souls manipulated by a press and political structure controlled by slave owners to throw their lives away in a tragic war.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2013, 10:48:06 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2013, 10:46:21 PM
The ACW has been done to death around here.

:yes:

Now the ECW, not so much. I :wub: Montrose and Prince Rupert.

Podcast plug: http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

If you love the ECW.  I would be interested to know what ECW fans think of it.

By the way there are retarded new names for the ECW because it is not Politically Correct for some reason.  So we get the 'British Wars' (which is retarded because it sounds like a name the Romans would give to something so it sounds like we are talking about the invasion of Britain or some series of wars against the Picts or something) or 'The Wars of the Three Kingdoms' (which is retarded since if you talk about 'The Three Kingdoms' everybody assumes you mean China).  The PC crowd needs to find a name that actually makes us think of the events of the English Civil War.

Sort of like the people who tried to rebrand the 'French and Indian War' as 'The War for the Empire' because it seems that was the only war ever fought for an empire.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 01:01:28 PM
Sort of like the people who tried to rebrand the 'French and Indian War' as 'The War for the Empire' because it seems that was the only war ever fought for an empire.

"The War to Raise Taxes on the Colonies" as Grover Norquist would call it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

They went downhill after McMahon bought out the ECW.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 01:01:28 PM

Podcast plug: http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

If you love the ECW.  I would be interested to know what ECW fans think of it.

By the way there are retarded new names for the ECW because it is not Politically Correct for some reason.  So we get the 'British Wars' (which is retarded because it sounds like a name the Romans would give to something so it sounds like we are talking about the invasion of Britain or some series of wars against the Picts or something) or 'The Wars of the Three Kingdoms' (which is retarded since if you talk about 'The Three Kingdoms' everybody assumes you mean China).  The PC crowd needs to find a name that actually makes us think of the events of the English Civil War.

I vote for Roundheads versus Cavaliers: The Beheadening.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt