News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons

Started by Syt, December 17, 2013, 01:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I find it so suspect of Disney making anything free.  :hmm: It must have Ads coming out of its ass for it to make a profit.  :glare:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

It is "free" just like all these games are "free". They are free to play, but you pay for incremental content, which, if you take the game seriously, is largely mandatory.

No ads. That would be the death knell for any of these, I suspect.

I am intrigued. It is a great setting, if they can pull of the gameplay.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 19, 2013, 01:02:14 PM
It is "free" just like all these games are "free". They are free to play, but you pay for incremental content, which, if you take the game seriously, is largely mandatory.

No ads. That would be the death knell for any of these, I suspect.

I am intrigued. It is a great setting, if they can pull of the gameplay.

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.  A War Thunder clone set in Star Wars sounds like it would be great fun.

I wonder... all the screenies are for classic ships - x-wings and tie fighters.  The prequels though introduced a bunch of different ships (though never in a battle sequence as detailed as the Battle of Yavin).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

The Expanded Universe if full of all kinds of fighters, so creating a progression tree of some kind from the prequel movies to post-Endor shouldn't be much of a problem.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2013, 01:48:08 PM
The Expanded Universe

:bleeding:

Lest we forget - there's a new sequel coming out in 2015.  If there's going to be progression past Endor, that's where it'll come from.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Doesn't mean they can't draw inspiration from EU designs. Some ship designs aren't too bad.

Anecdote: I recently tried reading the Thrawn trilogy again (in comic form, thought it might ease the pain - still sucks), and got esp. pissed off at Timothy Zahn's very non-Star Wars names: Joruus C'baoth, Nkllon, Vornskr, Honoghr .... half of them pretty unlcear on pronunciation. Afterwards I read a book with essays from sci-fi/fantasy writers about world building in books. One essay about keeping it simple and accessible (esp. names) specifically called out Zahn's names from the Thrawn trilogy. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Anybody else here in beta or interested in a key?  I've got three to give out for the weekend session ending tomorrow.
Experience bij!

Alcibiades

I wouldn't mind trying it out if you don't mind.  :cheers:

Edit:  What happens after the closed beta ends tomorrow?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 27, 2014, 07:10:17 PM
I wouldn't mind trying it out if you don't mind.  :cheers:

Edit:  What happens after the closed beta ends tomorrow?

Check your PMs. :cheers:

Usually, so far, the beta sessions have only been a couple hours on a single map, but this ran all this weekend- I just hadn't really gotten a chance to check in until today, so I missed most of it. :blush:

Experience bij!

Alcibiades

Yeah played for an hour or so.  Seems to be three ships..... no workshop.  Not sure if I can open crates?  And I levelled up but that didn't seem to do anything either...
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 27, 2014, 08:52:08 PM
Yeah played for an hour or so.  Seems to be three ships..... no workshop.  Not sure if I can open crates?  And I levelled up but that didn't seem to do anything either...

Sound seemed broken for me this time around, and it's still to where IE is the only browser I can play it in.  I noticed they opened up a second game mode this time around (Team Dogfight was the only option last time I played), but I'm hoping they rebalance the starter ships a bit- since the TIE Interceptor has got the fire rate and the speed, it's hideously OP compared to the X-wing and Y-wing.
Experience bij!

Syt

It appears that Disney scrapped this game some time in May, but it appears it wasn't any good, anyways.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grinning_Colossus

They need to make more more space sims. It's been 15 years since X-Wing Alliance. :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

celedhring

Star Citizen?

Unless you mean Star Wars-specific. Then yeah, we DO need more of those but it's been a dying genre for long time now, so I guess there hasn't been much interest.

Syt

I also want a remake of Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer. Of all crap to come out of the prequels, this was one of the most enjoyable ones.
—Stephen Jay Gould