News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China's first moon rover lands

Started by jimmy olsen, December 15, 2013, 09:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

And we're just sitting on our ass.  :mad:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/hopes-are-high-chinas-first-moon-rover-set-make-lunar-2D11741738
QuoteChina's first moon rover lands — and starts rolling over the lunar surface
Louise Watt The Associated Press
16 hours ago

BEIJING — China on Saturday successfully carried out the world's first soft landing of a space probe on the moon in nearly four decades, state media said. Hours later, video footage showed the probe's rover rolling onto the lunar surface.

The achievement marked the next stage in an ambitious space program that aims to eventually put a Chinese astronaut on the moon.

The unmanned Chang'e 3 lander, named after a mythical Chinese goddess of the moon, touched down on Earth's nearest neighbor following a 12-minute landing process.

The probe carried a six-wheeled moon rover called Yutu, or "Jade Rabbit," the goddess' pet in the myth. Within hours of its landing on a fairly flat, Earth-facing part of the moon, the rover separated from the Chang'e lander to embark on a three-month scientific exploration.

Source of pride
China's space program is an enormous source of pride for the country, the third to carry out a lunar soft landing — which does not damage the craft and the equipment it carries — after the United States and the former Soviet Union. The last one was by the Soviet Union in 1976.

"It's still a significant technological challenge to land on another world," said Peter Bond, consultant editor for Jane's Space Systems and Industry. "Especially somewhere like the moon, which doesn't have an atmosphere so you can't use parachutes or anything like that. You have to use rocket motors for the descent, and you have to make sure you go down at the right angle and the right rate of descent and you don't end up in a crater on top of a large rock."

State-run China Central Television showed a computer-generated image of the Chang'e 3 lander's path as it approached the surface of the moon, saying that during the 12-minute landing period it needed to have no contact with Earth. When it was just hundreds of meters (yards) away, the lander's camera broadcast images of the moon's surface.

Chang'e 3's solar panels, which are used to absorb sunlight to generate power, opened soon after the landing. Chang'e 3 will set up antennas that will transmit pictures back to Earth.

The Chang'e mission blasted off from southwest China on Dec. 2 on a Long March-3B carrier rocket.

Methodical progress
China's military-backed space program has made methodical progress in a relatively short time, although it lags far behind the United States and Russia in technology and experience.

China sent its first astronaut into space in 2003, becoming the third nation after Russia and the United States to achieve manned space travel independently. In 2007, it sent its first probe to the moon, named Chang'e 1. A follow-up mission, called Chang'e 2, was launched to study the moon in 2010, and then left lunar orbit to make a close flyby of the asteroid Toutatis in 2012.

China plans to open a space station around 2020 and send an astronaut to the moon after that.

"They are taking their time with getting to know about how to fly humans into space, how to build space stations ... how to explore the solar system, especially the moon and Mars," Bond said. "They are making good strides, and I think over the next 10, 20 years they'll certainly be rivaling Russia and America in this area and maybe overtaking them in some areas."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

You guys did that, what, 40 years ago? 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Probably hit every corner pulling into the parking garage up there, too.

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, back on Erf.

QuoteThe 6-Year-Old Who Donated His Piggy Bank to NASA Just Got a Call From an Astronaut

"This is Gene Cernan calling. I'm the last person to have walked on the moon."

Neil

It'll be sad when the last man to walk on the moon dies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Meh, their kids will still have USAA.

Try and match that one, China.

KRonn

I want to see the US doing more, get back more heavily into space related work. US needs a new shuttle, which I think is in development. Anyone have any idea of the time frame on that being built? I hope that project hasn't been ended also.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: KRonn on December 15, 2013, 01:15:06 PM
US needs a new shuttle, which I think is in development. Anyone have any idea of the time frame on that being built?

It'll happen when we elect a Puerto Rican President.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on December 15, 2013, 09:25:42 AM

Doesn't matter. China will mining the moon for resources before NASA is done with its Mars life-finding missions.\
China will soon claim the whole Moon, after the land over there and built their first "moon base".

Then we'll have to file flight plans to flight anywhere near the Moon.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2013, 11:00:01 AM
Probably hit every corner pulling into the parking garage up there, too.

When I went to buy auto insurance there was a Chinese student before me.  He ended up paying $240/month because he had smacked so much shit in the time he was here.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on December 15, 2013, 01:33:42 PM

Doesn't matter. China will mining the moon for resources before NASA is done with its Mars life-finding missions.\
China will soon claim the whole Moon, after the land over there and built their first "moon base".

China is a party of he Outer Space treaty, so no matter how much treason you commit against our country the Chinese won't own the moon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2013, 04:11:59 PM
Quote from: Siege on December 15, 2013, 01:33:42 PM

China is a party of he Outer Space treaty, so no matter how much treason you commit against our country the Chinese won't own the moon.

Stop being CdM's puppet.
At least be original in your bait.

Razgovory

Well you shouldn't have defended Pollard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege