News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Review

Started by 11B4V, December 15, 2013, 05:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I'll go ahead a kick off a quick review on this game.

Theatre: Eastern Europe, Western Europe
Ground Scale: 500 meters/hex
Unit Scale: Battalion, Company, Regiment, Platoon
Players: 1-2
AI: Yes

Product Requirements :

CPU 1.4 GHz or faster (can use multi-core)
    RAM: 1GB
    Hard Drive Space: 0.5 GB
    Min Resolution 1024 * 768, 64k colors
    Video Card DirectX 7 compatible or greater
    Sound Optional, DirectX 7 compatible
    Internet Connection for Multiplayer PBEM++

Graphics: Overall graphics passable/workable and don't expect a "wow" factor. They work, particularly to old board wargamers, but it's no Combat Mission.  Terrain graphics provide what they are suppose to do, which is provide good tactical problems for attack and defense. All the necessary types included for this scale.
80%

Interface: Interface is easy to use and intuitive once you get the basics down. Three turns into the tutorial, it was easy to pick up and out went the script. Right click drop downs are easy and fast and to the point. Nothing complicated.
95%

Game Manual: High quality, easy to read and reference. Also comes with PDF versions. Forum is active with the designers present/active on the matrix site.
100%

Game Play: Closest comparison is very "Assault" like. This game is a WEGO system. Variable length turns based on current  C3 state of forces. Fog of War settings, command ranges, ability to re-subordinate units to a different HQ, Resupply, Morale, etc. The command element has a huge impact on this game. It is no "Panzer Pusher", which is good. It has various options that you can turn on or off to increase/decrease realism. For example, if you check the "Limited Staff" rule, a unit can accept an order then you can change it without penalty. With it unchecked, there is a delay for the unit executing the new order because your an indecisive retard. This would be the only way I would play it PBEM with no take backs on issued commands. You have to think two or three steps ahead and anticipate what the enemy may do. If you are a tactical idiot you will get steamrolled. It has a general way point plotting for units. If you are a micro-manager, you'll have a melt down. Remember you are the higher commander in this game. It models doctrinal differences well. You can plot arty and units can request on-call fire missions. CAS is straight forward to use. No bugs were apparent and I have just scratched the surface regarding the interplay of the various effects built in.
92%

Editor: N/A I haven't bothered with this yet.

Overall: 92%

Screens from the scenario Pied Piper

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuoteFor example, if you check the "Limited Staff" rule,

you get Hansy on yours, trying to get you fired.

Ed Anger

Or Human Resources Command will pound your e-mail, degrading your effectiveness.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

QuoteNBC warfare is also on the table with strategic platforms like surface to surface missiles with nuclear or chemical warheads. They pack a punch, but using them comes with a cost.

Oh, hells yeah.  I just spooged all over my SACEUR Haig RealDoll.

Syt

Thanks, 11B, for the review. I'll be sure to pick this one up at some point, because you can never have too many NATO/WP games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Good review 11B. Will you be doing an AAR?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".