Idea #435682 of SF Gov to make SF a horrible place

Started by garbon, June 03, 2009, 01:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 01:53:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2009, 01:41:53 PM
A buddy from northern Sweden told me about the first time he parked in a parking house in central Stockholm. He expected to pay some some tens of SEK for 4-5 hours. LOL

hilarious.   :huh:

Is this a Yukon thing?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2009, 01:52:19 PM
The idea that parking fees shouldn't follow supply and demand is odd.
Unfortunately, the idea of parking fees being heavily subsided is ingrained into the minds of many.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2009, 01:58:34 PM
A buddy from northern Sweden told me about the first time he parked in a parking house in central Stockholm. He expected to pay some some tens of SEK for 4-5 hours. LOL

Is this a Yukon thing?

Not knowing the value of a SEK is an everywhere thing. :mellow:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 03, 2009, 02:15:33 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2009, 01:58:34 PM

Is this a Yukon thing?

ROTW = fail
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 02:06:51 PM
Unfortunately, the idea of parking fees being heavily subsided is ingrained into the minds of many.

Parking garages don't change their prices on a daily or weekly basis.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 02:27:50 PM
Parking garages don't change their prices on a daily or weekly basis.
And it's a shame, thought at least on average they're charging the market rate, which is much better than what parking meters manage.  The whole point of congestion pricing scheme is to be very sensitive to demand.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 03, 2009, 02:15:33 PM
Not knowing that Google can convert obscure units into something coherent is, hmm, can't think of anything clever.  But, the point is, Google can convert that shit.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 02:33:45 PM
The whole point of congestion pricing scheme is to be very sensitive to demand.

Which is why I hate it as it is really just another part of SF's overall directive to get people not to use cars in the city and to create a bicycle haven.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2009, 02:34:46 PM
Pave the parks over.

There's already plenty of parking in Golden Gate Park. Making it all a parking lot probably wouldn't help anything (low demand).

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 02:39:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 02:33:45 PM
The whole point of congestion pricing scheme is to be very sensitive to demand.

Which is why I hate it as it is really just another part of SF's overall directive to get people not to use cars in the city and to create a bicycle haven.
The problem is that cities just can't handle a lot of cars, that's probably the #1 inherent quality of life issue with them.  Personally, I'd rather have congestion pricing regulate car usage rather than congestion itself.  I'd rather be dissauded by a $20 toll rather than by a 5 MPH average commute speed.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 02:49:11 PM
I'd rather be dissauded by a $20 toll rather than by a 5 MPH average commute speed.
That's not really happening in SF...and like I was suggesting, I think this move would just push people to park in parking garages.  If I end up paying $12 bucks to park on the street, I might as well pay the $15 all day rate to park in a garage.  I'm not sure that, that is a positive (or a negative really).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 02:36:51 PM
Not knowing that Google can convert obscure units into something coherent is, hmm, can't think of anything clever.  But, the point is, Google can convert that shit.

Not worth the effort. Besides, I think I got the gist of the joke.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?