U.S. income inequality worst since 1928

Started by jimmy olsen, December 10, 2013, 03:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 10, 2013, 04:38:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2013, 04:14:51 PM
But when we see tellers being replaced at banks

Did the mass roll out of ATMs result in a decrease or increase in the number of people employed by banks?

:o :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I always thought ATM had little bank tellers inside them.  Like Gnomes or Vietnamese or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2013, 04:44:19 PM
I always thought ATM had little bank tellers inside them.  Like Gnomes or Vietnamese or something.

Someone has to count the money before the machine spits it out.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2013, 04:44:19 PM

They tried it with Mexican tellers but that didn't work so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh173tJRNX4
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 03:14:37 PM

I really don't understand how the discussion about income inequality (and its growth) always seems to come down to redistribution.

The one has only a slight relationship to the other, and if growing income inequality is in fact a problem, the problem did not come about because there was less redistribution, nor can it be solved by more redistribution, at least not in any real and practical sense.

The rich are not taking more and more of a share of the nations wealth because they are not taxed enough. We could double their taxes, and the trend would continue.

The wealthy and their share of the tax burden is a separate issue. The fact that the rich are getting richer suggests that they can likely afford a greater tax burden, but that isn't the same thing.
Nations with a higher tax rate seem to have less income inequality. How are we so sure there's not a casual connection?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2013, 06:01:24 PM
Nations with a higher tax rate seem to have less income inequality. How are we so sure there's not a casual connection?

Generally the way it works is that if you want to argue that a correlation really indicates a causal connection, you offer some sort of evidence.

"Do we have any evidence that it's not?" does not constitute such evidence.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 10, 2013, 04:43:42 PM

Did the mass roll out of ATMs result in a decrease or increase in the number of people employed by banks?

It did.

He asked an or question and your answer was essentially yes? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2013, 06:42:04 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 10, 2013, 04:43:42 PM

It did.

He asked an or question and your answer was essentially yes? :unsure:

I assumed he was covering all the bases

garbon

The economist apparently did a piece on this. Answer, no and Obama was wrong to say it did.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/06/technology-and-unemployment

Though this was interesting.

QuoteI wouldn't blame ATMs on our jobless recovery, but surely the general skill-bias of technological change is an important part of the issue. I suspect Tyler Cowen may be right that the recession created an occasion for firms to shed "zero-marginal-product workers". In that case, the ranks of the unemployed are filled with wannabe workers whose labour is at present worth less to employers than the cost of employing them. This puts Mr Obama in a politically perilous position. We can expect rising aggregate demand to make it pay for some firms to once again employ some significant number of relatively low-productivity workers, but we probably can't reasonably expect the unemployment rate to return to its pre-recession level, at least not in the absence of politically unlikely employment subsidies or government make-work schemes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2013, 06:23:06 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2013, 06:01:24 PM

Generally the way it works is that if there if you want to argue that a correlation really indicates a causal connection, you offer some sort of evidence.

"Do we have any evidence that it's not?" does not constitute such evidence.
But I'm lazy. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2013, 01:31:22 PM
it's not the distance between the top and the bottom that matters,
Imho, it's not that it doesn't matter, it's that in itself it tells us nothing.

Quebec doesn't have a huge gap between poor and rich.  To be in the top 1% earner, you need to make a little above 200k$/year.

Realistically, what can you do in Quebec with 200 000$/year?  Buy a nice house, afford a cottage, buy a nice car, have decent life insurance policies and that's about it.  Of course, you can send your kids to a private school, but anyone except the unemployed can do that in Quebec (private education is subsidized).  You can't afford to take vacations every year outside the country, you can't own properties outside of Quebec in very nice place, basically, nothing like Warren Buffet could do.

To know that you're in the upper 1% at 200 000$ and the lower 1% at 10 000$ that does not tell me what these poeple do.  Are you at 10 000$ because you can't find a decent job above that?  Are you there because you're mentally ill?  Are you there because you're an artist who doesn't want to earn more money and prefer living poor while doing your hobby full time?

That's why most of these stats are useless.

Imho, what's important, is how many generations it takes to go from the bottom to the upper echelons.  As it is in the US, it tends to increase.  That is alarming.  If poor people can't at least hope to stop being poor, it tends creates a bottom underclass and a top aristocracy, with all the priviledges that come with it.  In the past, an economic crisis could rebalance the thing, but nowadays, the government will always jump at the opportunity to help the rich survive the crisis they themselves provoked (1980s, 1990s, 2008 comes to mind, when the governments of the world saved their banks and their shareholders).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2013, 02:01:06 PM
Imho, what's important, is how many generations it takes to go from the bottom to the upper echelons.

The problem with this measure of social mobility is it doesn't account for the distance between echelons in different countries.  I think a fairer measure of mobility is absolute change: what are the chances (or how long does it take) to move from your parents making 25K to you making 50K (or whatever).