Hey, she was just a ho: Leniency bid by killer’s lawyer

Started by jimmy olsen, December 10, 2013, 12:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Scum!  :mad:

I'm glad the judge gave his client four extra years.
http://nypost.com/2013/12/06/hey-she-was-just-a-ho-sick-bid-by-killers-lawyer/
QuoteHey, she was just a ho: Sick bid by killer's lawyer

By Christina Carrega-Woodby
December 6, 2013 | 6:16am

Hey, she was just a ho: Sick bid by killer's lawyer

Crime

In a bizarre courtroom speech, a Queen defense attorney said the life of a murdered transgender prostitute wasn't worth much — and argued that her convicted killer shouldn't be punished as if he had killed someone "in the higher end of the community."

"A sentence of 25 years to life is an incredibly long period of time judge," John Scarpa said Thursday as he asked a judge to go easy on his client, Rasheen Everett, for killing hooker Amanda Gonzalez-Andujar in 2010.

"Shouldn't that be reserved for people who are guilty of killing certain classes of individuals?"

Then, taking callousness to a new level, he said: "Who is the victim in this case? Is the victim a person in the higher end of the community?"

Queens Supreme Court Justice Richard Buchter scolded Scarpa as he sentenced Everett to 29 years in prison.

"This court believes every human life in sacred," he said. "It's not easy living as a transgender, and I commend the family for supporting her."

Everett, 32, was convicted of strangling Gonzalez-Andujar last month. They had met through an ad, and he was allegedly shocked to find she had male genitalia.

Throughout the proceedings, Scarpa stunned the victim's family as he detailed her sexual past.

"Amanda was engaged in a life of prostitution, life of drug use, HIV exposure," Sharpa said. "She was having sex with other individuals knowing she had the chance of spreading diseases."

The shameless Everett even chuckled throughout the emotional testimony of the victim's brother, Ruben Andujar.

"The pain my family feels is unbearable," Ruben had said. "It's all like a nightmare, and I'm still waiting to wake up."

Butcher blasted Everett, who declined to speak when the judge gave him the chance.

"The defendant is coldhearted and violent menace to society," he said.

Everett winked at loved ones in court before he was taken away.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2013, 12:10:33 AM

If he changed the sentence after the lawyer's comment, that sounds like grounds for appeal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

The lawyer saw an old Mitt Romney bumper sticker on the judges car and thought the class warfare thing might work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 10, 2013, 12:17:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2013, 12:10:33 AM

If he changed the sentence after the lawyer's comment, that sounds like grounds for appeal.

Probably had more to do with this

"The shameless Everett even chuckled throughout the emotional testimony of the victim's brother, Ruben Andujar."

Syt

QuoteYou know, we've had a lot of laughs tonight, but I'll tell you what's not funny - killing strippers. Strippers are people, too. Naked people who may be willing to pleasure you for a price you negotiate later behind a curtain in a VIP room. Besides, there's no need to kill 'em. 'Cause most of them are already dead inside.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

This isn't really believable, is it?

I mean, surely there is more to this story - there is no way any lawyer could possibly think such a line of argument could have anything other than a negative effect.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

I mean, surely there is more to this story - there is no way any lawyer could possibly think such a line of argument could have anything other than a negative effect.
Looks like a direct quote, I know it's a the Post, but you'd think they could at least get that right.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I can't find any other sources for this other than the NY Post, everything else references the posts...  It sure looks suspicious.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I've seen some pretty stupid lines of defence submitted.  In particular by a legal aid attorney with little time to prepare.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.