And we're back!

Main Menu

Vikings TV Series

Started by Queequeg, December 07, 2013, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2013, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2013, 03:28:15 PM
The Carolingian lived in the same climate and same time period, yet they have lots of documents.  The Vikings also don't seem to be a society that would have lots of documents around.  They lacked strong centralized states, or many urban areas.  These aren't the types of societies that keep lots of documents.

The issue is whether people in later ages cared about the documents. The Holy Roman Empire derived its legitimacy from the Carolingian period, so people in later ages kept their records carefully, particularly in the monestaries that sprang up. People in the northern lands, once converted to Christianity, were less interested in records of the pagan past. Some survived but most did not. This is particularlyb true as the whole system of writing changed - from runes to a recognizable alphabet based on Latin. People in the same lands were now of a different religion and unable to even read stuff written by their predecessors.

Which is not to say that the vikings had as many documents as the Carolingians, just that you can't read too much into what has survived. It isn't always a reliable measure of what once existed.

Well the Christianized Scandinavians did care about documents, they kept plenty.  Cultures keep documents because important things are recorded on them.  Not important things like the deeds of the chief, but things like who owns what land, and who owes who what.  As government becomes more complex it's not longer practical to remember these things, you have to write them down.  If the Scandinavians were keeping records like that, there is as strong incentive to keep that even if it dates to the pagan period.  Duke Vidkun Vikingsson would certainly want to make sure that the documents that established the hereditary rights and privileges of his grandfather Cheif Viking Vidkunsson are kept safe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Atlantis was the Minoan civilization and was destroyed by the Thera eruption.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

Anyone watching Valhalla?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Dude, I thought Psellus was back...

Yeah, I saw it. Excellent fuel for modern Christian persecution complexes. Decent television, too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

I watched the 1st episode. I'll watch the other ones, I think.

I did not watch the previous series.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 04, 2022, 08:43:04 AMI watched the 1st episode. I'll watch the other ones, I think.

I did not watch the previous series.

I recommend you watch the first couple of seasons of the first series.  It goes downhill in the latter ones but those early seasons were pretty good.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.