News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vikings TV Series

Started by Queequeg, December 07, 2013, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

What were Viking marriage customs? I assumed polygamy. Also, some of the buildings look way too medieval.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

Quote from: Viking on December 07, 2013, 07:31:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)

Historical accuracy[edit]
A historical account of the Vikings would reach hundreds, occasionally thousands, of people. Here we’ve got to reach millions.”[34]

I wonder where this guy got his facts for making an statement like this.
Do we know for a fact that historical series that is fairly close to reality would not find a market?

I can understand for dramatic purpose to pile up actions that happened over a longer period of time, but I see no excuse to get wrong basic stuff like clothing, architectural styles, armor, weapons, government, social structure, etc.

I think the argument that historical accuracy doesn't sell is complete bullshit.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

Would a Viking wife be offended by someone raping a captive?   :huh:
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on December 07, 2013, 09:55:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2013, 09:34:11 PM
Well some guy from the American Spectator said something about the historical accuracy, so can't be all untrue.

He is right though.

Oh?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Quote from: Queequeg on December 07, 2013, 10:45:59 PM
What were Viking marriage customs? I assumed polygamy. Also, some of the buildings look way too medieval.

Officially, monogamy. Slaves, captives, and concubines didn't count, only infidelity with another freeman's wife counted as adultery.

Freewomen wives kept their maiden names, they still remain part of their biological family even after marriage. They were basically shrews ruling the household and the slaves attached to the lands while the husband was gone. If they were mistreated, had poor providers as husbands, or they or their familiies were simply fed up with the marriage wives could divorce by simply declaring themselves so in front of witnesses, first at his doorstep, then in front of the marital bed.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Would the sons of slaves and concubines count towards inheritance?  How was inheritance dealt with anyway? 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on December 07, 2013, 11:56:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 07, 2013, 10:45:59 PM

Officially, monogamy. Slaves, captives, and concubines didn't count, only infidelity with another freeman's wife counted as adultery.

Freewomen wives kept their maiden names, they still remain part of their biological family even after marriage. They were basically shrews ruling the household and the slaves attached to the lands while the husband was gone. If they were mistreated, had poor providers as husbands, or they or their familiies were simply fed up with the marriage wives could divorce by simply declaring themselves so in front of witnesses, first at his doorstep, then in front of the marital bed.
IIRC the happy couple had to bang in front of six witnesses after the wedding feast to make the marriage official. True?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

There is one thing I do wonder, and that's how literate the Vikings were.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

The Early Rus' tended to be literate.    IDK about the Vikings.  Anne of Kiev was literate while neither of her French husbands were. 

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2013, 02:15:31 AM

What is your impression?

Going by the number and quality of runic instriptions on stone that have come down to us a significant number of people could read and write. It is likely that the vast majority of runic inscriptions were made on perishable materials and haven't survived. IIRC they have found huge numbers of runic inscriptions on leather etc dealing with everyday stuff when excavating Bergen, Norway, but I think those are medieval. My guess is that the process from magical, ritual runes to everyday "pick up a gallon of blueberries on your way home from rape honey" was a gradual one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on December 07, 2013, 10:34:05 PM
The Uppsala part was insane. Having some guy in the wrong time period is fair enough. But what is today a decent sized city in totally the wrong terrain?

They put denmark in mountainous fjord terrain. They did the same with uppsala, in addition to giving it a stave church.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2013, 12:15:06 AM
Would the sons of slaves and concubines count towards inheritance?  How was inheritance dealt with anyway?

That depends on the the householder and place. Initially in iceland land was divided between sons, though when that ran out the farm went to one son. Inheritance isn't an issue that is brought up much in the sagas. Archeologists have shown that in iceland the original claims were divided and sub divided into the resulting modern farms over generations, presumably among family and retainers. This then stopped at a point when the farms got small enough. Property rights meant nothing without armed men to hold the land - or at least armed men returning from overseas soon to wreak revenge on whoever despoiled the house and land.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on December 08, 2013, 03:50:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2013, 02:15:31 AM

What is your impression?

Going by the number and quality of runic instriptions on stone that have come down to us a significant number of people could read and write. It is likely that the vast majority of runic inscriptions were made on perishable materials and haven't survived. IIRC they have found huge numbers of runic inscriptions on leather etc dealing with everyday stuff when excavating Bergen, Norway, but I think those are medieval. My guess is that the process from magical, ritual runes to everyday "pick up a gallon of blueberries on your way home from rape honey" was a gradual one.

There aren't a lot of references to documents or stores of documents, so not very literate.  I've been reading about the Carolingian period and found an interesting claim.  There are more surviving documents from that period then the entire 1,300 years previous.

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on December 08, 2013, 04:26:01 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2013, 12:15:06 AM

That depends on the the householder and place. Initially in iceland land was divided between sons, though when that ran out the farm went to one son. Inheritance isn't an issue that is brought up much in the sagas. Archeologists have shown that in iceland the original claims were divided and sub divided into the resulting modern farms over generations, presumably among family and retainers. This then stopped at a point when the farms got small enough. Property rights meant nothing without armed men to hold the land - or at least armed men returning from overseas soon to wreak revenge on whoever despoiled the house and land.
That actually sounds a bit like the Rus' system, although sadly that never went towards functional primogeniture.  Are there any good books on the eastward Viking expeditions, or on general Viking history?