And we're back!

Main Menu

EU3 Modification Question

Started by alfred russel, June 02, 2009, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2009, 10:13:26 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 06:24:37 AM
Russian colonization also went much better. Instead of hitting the pacific around 1680, they never reached the pacific, being a couple of provinces shy. Unfortunately, GB colonized there ahead of them anyway.

Of course, historically, Russia had reached the Americas by 1730ish.

I think there is some room for debate over what a "city" means. Paradox seems to be taking a rather expansive view, with for example almost all of the US being filled by the mid 18th century, with the central region occupied by France. I'd prefer to take a more conservative view that those were essentially claims, similar to trading posts in EU2, but not rising to the level of cities. I don't think I'd consider Alaska to be settled until the gold rush after the EU period.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 10:24:17 AM
I think there is some room for debate over what a "city" means. Paradox seems to be taking a rather expansive view, with for example almost all of the US being filled by the mid 18th century, with the central region occupied by France. I'd prefer to take a more conservative view that those were essentially claims, similar to trading posts in EU2, but not rising to the level of cities. I don't think I'd consider Alaska to be settled until the gold rush after the EU period.

I haven't played eu3 in a while. They've only cities?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2009, 11:32:03 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 10:24:17 AM

I haven't played eu3 in a while. They've only cities?

No, they also have colonies, but colony growth rates are such that they quickly become cities.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

So I finally get England under control, and now 5-province Wales has turned into a warmonger!

<_<

Why can't the British Isles just get along?

Also I was quite astonished - I was just magically given English culture.  How does that work?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2009, 02:18:38 PM
So I finally get England under control, and now 5-province Wales has turned into a warmonger!

<_<

Also I was quite astonished - I was just magically given English culture.  How does that work?

If a given percentage of your realm have a non-accepted culture, it becomes accepted. It works both ways, so if you would happen to lose your scottish territories, in time you would lose scottish as accepted culture.

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2009, 02:30:25 PM
If a given percentage of your realm have a non-accepted culture, it becomes accepted. It works both ways, so if you would happen to lose your scottish territories, in time you would lose scottish as accepted culture.

Nah, not for primary culture (although if another culture is the culture of your capital and is the majority culture, you can switch your primary culture).

dps

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2009, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2009, 02:18:38 PM

<_<

The percentages are calculated on the basis of cores, so you probably just got cores on some of the English provinces you took earlier.

alfred russel

And the tweaks I worked this morning were close to perfect both in the New World and Africa. Slightly less activity in the far east that would be preferred, but not too bad.

Russia did much better too, colonizing all the way to the pacific but still with a few provinces to fill in. They took part of Scandanavia and did better against the Ottomans, though the OE still drove into Russia.

The big problem is that the OE isn't attacking the Ak Koyunlu country, whatever that is. It sits in historic OE territory but the OE doesn't fight it. I'm going to make one last tweak by making that an OE enemy in the OE AI files and see what happens. With a new focus for the OE, that may take some of the pressure off of Russia as well.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 07:04:11 PM
The big problem is that the OE isn't attacking the Ak Koyunlu country, whatever that is. It sits in historic OE territory but the OE doesn't fight it.

Historically, they did fight although the Ottomans only gained that territory after taking it from Persia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2009, 07:11:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 07:04:11 PM
The big problem is that the OE isn't attacking the Ak Koyunlu country, whatever that is. It sits in historic OE territory but the OE doesn't fight it.

Historically, they did fight although the Ottomans only gained that territory after taking it from Persia.

Yeah, the ME is messed up a lot of the time as a strong Safavid Empire doesn't come up on its own. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Alfred'll love this.

In my slow-moving Scotland game, the Scottish nation proudly crosses the Atlantic in the 1470s.  First we discover Greenland, and then Newfoundland.

Where the existing Castillian colony greats us.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Sacra Romanum Imperium 4.0 is out! It includes the Great Power system which will be included in MM Platinum 2:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381384

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2009, 12:43:02 AM
Alfred'll love this.

In my slow-moving Scotland game, the Scottish nation proudly crosses the Atlantic in the 1470s.  First we discover Greenland, and then Newfoundland.

Where the existing Castillian colony greats us.

:(

I've run a bunch of games, and I can't fix the russia/middle east issues. The only thing I will do is take out Kazakh, which is Russia's gateway into India and Russia never conquered (according to the paradox maps), and slow down colonization to 1/7 speed.

Having run many games, and not having messed with Europe, a few things I've seen: Portugal and Spain seem to be steady, GB almost always forms, the german minors usually are swallowed (often by Austria), and the Netherlands never forms. In my last game, France was reduced to a 3 province country, mainly by Austria--which seemed to be quite unusual.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 02:21:31 PM
I think that considering Russia as "Western Europe" is a bit of a stretch there, Beeb. :P

I've played as Russia and gotten to Western Europe?  Does that count?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I'm adding an event that will give me a max of 2 stability for owning a province with nationalism, and having a house rule that I can't have more than 1 province with nationalism at a time.

Here are the countries I'm considering for my next game:
a) Portugal
b) Venice
c) Milan
d) Brandenburg
e) Baden

Anyone have a suggestion? I'm leaning toward Brandenburg.