News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

From the Interpreter blog:

QuoteMax Seddon Reports From Slaviansk | 2014-04-16 13:47:58
Max Seddon has seen the Ukrainian soldiers who have just lost their APCs to pro-Russian militants. Note that Seddon says the separatists did take the guns from the Ukrainian soldiers, which contradicts some earlier reports. Also note that whether some of the men defected or not is in doubt, but there is some evidence that at least some of them did.

If there were defections, the surrendered APCs seem to make a little more sense.  Still shitty thing to see happen with the guys you're rooting for. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

This is why they're not in NATO and never should be.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on April 16, 2014, 09:25:21 AM
This is why they're not in NATO and never should be.

Not yet anyway.  Not until they get over the infection of Russians within their borders and their military.

Queequeg

Ethnic Russians in the Baltics are thusfar sticking with their nations even though they are frequently not given full citizenship.  I just think Ukraine is an especially crappy country. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on April 16, 2014, 09:33:15 AM
Ethnic Russians in the Baltics are thusfar sticking with their nations even though they are frequently not given full citizenship. 

They're creating problems there as well.  It's just not front page news.

QuoteI just think Ukraine is an especially crappy country. 

But mostly because of the Russians.  I'm confident that a fairly homogenous Ukrainian state would follow in Poland's footsteps if given time and protection from Russian interference.

Ed Anger

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on April 16, 2014, 09:33:15 AM
Ethnic Russians in the Baltics are thusfar sticking with their nations even though they are frequently not given full citizenship.  I just think Ukraine is an especially crappy country.

Headline from today: http://en.itar-tass.com/world/728212

QuoteRussian community in Latvia says banning Russian TV violates constitution

The head of Latvia's Russian community, Valery Kravtsov, says the ban is aimed particularly at discriminating against Russians in Latvia

RIGA, April 16. /ITAR-TASS/. Latvia's broadcasting authority has banned Russia's RTR television channel for three months.

The head of the nation's Russian community, Valery Kravtsov, described the National Electronic Media Council decision as a violation of constitutional freedom of expression.

"The community considers such actions as a violation of the legal rights of a European democratic country's citizens, the right for free access to information in particular. We also believe that this ban is aimed particularly at discriminating against Russians in Latvia", he said on Wednesday, adding that the Ukrainian crisis would be resolved and that Russians and Latvians would have to coexist in a single state.

Residents of a rational democratic society had the right independently to choose programs to watch, books to read and ideas to have, Kravtsov said. "We do not understand why we, honest taxpayers who have already paid for our broadcasting services, were so dishonestly cheated."

The country's electronic media council voted last week to cease transmitting RTR, claiming it had spread military propaganda. Russian activists have challenged the ban in a Riga court.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/728254

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

QuoteEuropeans get no full information on Ukrainian situation due to censorship

MOSCOW, April 16. /ITAR-TASS/. European readers and TV viewers cannot fully assess the situation in Ukraine because they have no free choice of information, presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the Vesti 24 television channel on Wednesday, April 16.

"It's very regrettable but it's so," he said and stressed that even the activity of Russian politicians such as President Vladimir Putin, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and lawmakers who are trying to dispel rumors or dismiss accusations "comes across the concrete wall of censorship".

"Explanations do not get through not because they are inadequate, but on the contrary, because they are very consistent and well substantiated. They do not get through because they come across the concrete wall of censorship. We never saw anything like this before. We never thought this could happen and that it could happen so openly," Peskov said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I admit that part would like to see those Baltic fucks get their asses handed to them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I doubt Putin would be stupid enough to intervene militarily in the Baltics. He'll probably just stir the pot and increase divisions and instability in the countries to take them out of the game.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2014, 09:47:33 AM
I admit that part would like to see those Baltic fucks get their asses handed to them.

I'd like them to form some sort of SS like units and liquidate Russians. again.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
I doubt Putin would be stupid enough to intervene militarily in the Baltics. He'll probably just stir the pot and increase divisions and instability in the countries to take them out of the game.

Would Germans come to the their rescue if Russia played these same tricks on the Baltics?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger